Read our 2019 Report Card for Dingell.
Dingell is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Dingell has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Nov 24, 2020. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Debbie Dingell sits on the following committees:
Dingell was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 4831: National Fish and Wildlife Foundation Reauthorization Act of 2019
- H.R. 3253: Sustaining Excellence in Medicaid Act of 2019
- H.R. 5765 (114th): Great Lakes Fish and Wildlife Restoration Act of 2016
Does 3 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Dingell sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Health (38%) Environmental Protection (18%) Commerce (10%) Transportation and Public Works (10%) International Affairs (8%) Crime and Law Enforcement (5%) Government Operations and Politics (5%) Energy (5%)
Some of Dingell’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 1181: Honoring Rosalynn Smith Carter’s 50 years of mental health advocacy.
- H.R. 8511: Care Corps Demonstration Act of 2020
- H.Res. 1128: Expressing the condolences of the House of Representatives on the death of the ...
- H.R. 8267: To amend the Energy Policy and Conservation Act to modify the definition of ...
- H.R. 7347: To designate the medical center of the Department of Veterans Affairs in Ann ...
- H.Res. 973: Recognizing the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, commending a month of fasting and ...
- H.R. 6531: Medical Supplies for Pandemics Act of 2020
From Jan 2015 to Nov 2020, Dingell missed 84 of 3,463 roll call votes, which is 2.4%. This is on par with the median of 2.3% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: