Dingell is the representative for Michigan’s 12th congressional district (view map) and is a Democrat. She has served since Jan 6, 2015. Dingell is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Dingell.
Dingell is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Dingell has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Apr 8, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Debbie Dingell sits on the following committees:
Dingell was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 7347 (116th): To designate the medical center of the Department of Veterans Affairs in Ann Arbor, Michigan, as the “Lieutenant Colonel Charles S. Kettles Department of Veterans Affairs Medical ...
- H.R. 4831 (116th): National Fish and Wildlife Foundation Reauthorization Act of 2019
- H.R. 3253 (116th): Sustaining Excellence in Medicaid Act of 2019
- H.R. 1342 (116th): EMPOWER Care Act
- H.R. 5765 (114th): Great Lakes Fish and Wildlife Restoration Act of 2016
Does 5 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Dingell sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Dingell’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 2310: To require the Administrator of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to establish ...
- H.R. 2309: To improve dam and hydropower safety, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 2308: To revise the advanced technology vehicles manufacturing incentive program, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 2138: To require the Secretary of Transportation to prescribe a motor vehicle safety standard ...
- H.R. 1880: To amend the Deficit Reduction Act of 2005 to make permanent the Money ...
- H.R. 1879: To promote American leadership in vehicle manufacturing, job creation, improved air quality, and ...
- H.R. 1738: To amend titles XIX and XXI of the Social Security Act to provide ...
From Jan 2015 to Mar 2021, Dingell missed 86 of 3,586 roll call votes, which is 2.4%. This is on par with the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: