Haaland is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Haaland has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jan 25, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Haaland was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 2791 (116th): Department of Veterans Affairs Tribal Advisory Committee Act of 2019
- H.R. 7289 (116th): Rent the Camo: Access to Maternity Wear Act
- H.R. 2438 (116th): Not Invisible Act of 2020
- H.R. 2031 (116th): PROGRESS for Indian Tribes Act
- H.R. 1900 (116th): Native American Business Incubators Program Act
Does 5 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Haaland sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Native Americans (39%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (15%) Armed Forces and National Security (15%) Agriculture and Food (10%) Government Operations and Politics (7%) Environmental Protection (5%) Crime and Law Enforcement (5%) Social Welfare (5%)
Some of Haaland’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 8729 (116th): Native American Language Resource Center Act
- H.R. 8665 (116th): Extending Tribal Broadband Priority Act of 2020
- H.R. 8455 (116th): Reconciliation in Place Names Act
- H.R. 8420 (116th): Truth and Healing Commission on Indian Boarding School Policy Act
- H.R. 8401 (116th): To require the Secretary of the Interior and the Secretary of Agriculture ...
- H.Res. 1144 (116th): Broadband for All Resolution of 2020
- H.R. 8298 (116th): To amend the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act to move ...
From Jan 2019 to Jan 2021, Haaland missed 10 of 972 roll call votes, which is 1.0%. This is better than the median of 2.0% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: