Our unique analysis of the bills Hertel sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 1992. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Hertel is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Hertel was the primary sponsor of 9 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 2130 (102nd): National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Authorization Act of 1992
- H.J.Res. 167 (102nd): To designate June 14, 1991, as “Baltic Freedom Day”.
- H.R. 5390 (101st): Aquatic Nuisance Prevention and Control Act of 1990
- H.R. 1668 (101st): National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Ocean and Coastal Programs Authorization Act of 1989
- H.J.Res. 620 (99th): A joint resolution designating the week beginning January 4, 1987, as “National Bowling Week”.
- H.J.Res. 617 (99th): A joint resolution to designate the week beginning September 21, 1986, as “National Adult Day Care Center Week”.
- H.J.Res. 229 (99th): A joint resolution designating the week beginning September 22, 1985, as “National Adult Day Care Center Week”.
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Hertel sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Environmental Protection (25%) International Affairs (16%) Government Operations and Politics (13%) Science, Technology, Communications (11%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (11%) Taxation (9%) Health (8%) Crime and Law Enforcement (8%)
Some of Hertel’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5324 (102nd): NOAA Fleet Modernization Act
- H.R. 5093 (102nd): To clear certain impediments to the documentation of the vessel SEA HAWK ...
- H.J.Res. 432 (102nd): Designating April 26, 1992, through May 2, 1992, as “National Adult and ...
- H.R. 4310 (102nd): National Marine Sanctuaries Reauthorization and Improvement Act of 1992
- H.Con.Res. 242 (102nd): Emphasizing the vast extent of environmental damage in the Persian Gulf region ...
- H.R. 3749 (102nd): To reauthorize Title I of the Marine Protection Research, and Sanctuaries Act ...
- H.R. 3704 (102nd): National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Authorization Act of 1991
View All » (including bills from previous years)
From Jan 1981 to Oct 1992, Hertel missed 206 of 5,383 roll call votes, which is 3.8%. This is on par with the median of 4.4% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1992. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- Congressional Biographical Directory for elected positions
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills