Our unique analysis of the bills Kucinich sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 2013. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Kucinich is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Kucinich was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 5390 (111th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 13301 Smith Road in Cleveland, Ohio, as the “David John Donafee Post Office Building”.
- H.J.Res. 26 (111th): Proclaiming Casimir Pulaski to be an honorary citizen of the United States posthumously.
- H.R. 6150 (110th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 14500 Lorain Avenue in Cleveland, Ohio, as the “John P. Gallagher Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 1056 (106th): Small Business Year 2000 Readiness Act
- H.R. 4083 (105th): To make available to the Ukrainian Museum and Archives the USIA television program “Window on America”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Kucinich sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (30%) Agriculture and Food (17%) Taxation (11%) International Affairs (11%) Armed Forces and National Security (9%) Economics and Public Finance (9%) Finance and Financial Sector (7%) Health (7%)
Some of Kucinich’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6697 (112th): Consumer Bounty Act
- H.Res. 835 (112th): Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that the United States ...
- H.R. 6668 (112th): Workers Solidarity Act of 2012
- H.R. 6667 (112th): Financial Consumers Association Act of 2012
- H.Res. 828 (112th): Calling for the unconditional release of Nasrin Sotoudeh and all prisoners of ...
- H.R. 6648 (112th): POCAG Act
- H.Res. 819 (112th): Directing the Attorney General of the United States to transmit to the ...
From Jan 1997 to Jan 2013, Kucinich missed 442 of 10,969 roll call votes, which is 4.0%. This is worse than the median of 2.6% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Jan 2013. ProPublica has tracked 11 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: