Heck was the representative for Washington’s 10th congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 2013 to 2020.
Read our 2019 Report Card for Heck.
Heck is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2020 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Heck sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Dec 28, 2020. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Heck was the primary sponsor of 4 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1526: To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 200 Israel Road Southeast in Tumwater, Washington, as the “Eva G. Hewitt Post Office”.
- H.R. 3906 (115th): Innovative Stormwater Infrastructure Act of 2018
- H.R. 2270 (114th): Billy Frank Jr. Tell Your Story Act
- H.R. 2167 (113th): Reverse Mortgage Stabilization Act of 2013
Does 4 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Heck sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Environmental Protection (17%) Armed Forces and National Security (17%) Housing and Community Development (17%) Native Americans (11%) Animals (11%) International Affairs (11%) Taxation (8%) Finance and Financial Sector (8%)
Some of Heck’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 7910: Restrictions on Intelligence Assets in Protests Act
- H.R. 7290: Defense Communities Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020
- H.R. 6820: Emergency Rental Assistance and Rental Market Stabilization Act of 2020
- H.R. 6314: Emergency Rental Assistance Act of 2020
- H.R. 6066: Passenger Train Safety Act
- H.R. 5599: Fulfilling the Promise of the Housing Trust Fund Act
- H.R. 5319: Native American Housing Assistance and Self-Determination Reauthorization Act of 2019
From Jan 2013 to Dec 2020, Heck missed 68 of 4,693 roll call votes, which is 1.4%. This is better than the median of 2.3% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2020. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: