He was previously the representative for California’s 21st congressional district (2003-2012).
In 2017 Nunes was investigated for unauthorized disclosures of classified information. The investigation is closed as of 12/07/2017.
Read our 2017 Report Card for Nunes.
Nunes is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Nunes has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Devin Nunes sits on the following committees:
Nunes was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 4127 (114th): Intelligence Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2016
- H.R. 3043 (113th): Tribal General Welfare Exclusion Act of 2014
- H.R. 4849 (112th): Sequoia and King Canyon National Parks Backcountry Access Act
- H.R. 5825 (110th): Hubbard Act
- H.R. 2383 (109th): To redesignate the facility of the Bureau of Reclamation located at 19550 Kelso Road in Byron, California, as the “C.W. `Bill’ Jones Pumping Plant”.
- H.R. 4015 (109th): Milk Regulatory Equity Act of 2005
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Nunes sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Nunes’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Con.Res. 98: Directing the Secretary of the Senate to make a correction in the enrollment ...
- H.R. 4616: To amend the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act to provide for a ...
- H.R. 4478: FISA Amendments Reauthorization Act of 2017
- H.R. 3729: Comprehensive Operations, Sustainability, and Transport Act of 2017
- H.R. 3236: Ambulance Medicare Budget and Operations Act of 2017
- H.R. 3180: Intelligence Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2018
- H.R. 1838: Ambulatory Surgical Center Quality and Access Act of 2017
|Nunes’s Vote||Vote Description|
S. 2040: Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act
Sep 28, 2016. Passed 348/77.
After the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, a federal commission was created to fact-find as much information as possible about the planning, funding, and carrying-out of the attacks. The final report ran more than 500 pages, but much intrigue has centered around 28 pages redacted ...
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 2362 (112th): Indian Tribal Trade and Investment Demonstration Project Act of 2011
Jul 23, 2012. Failed 222/160.
S. 365 (112th): Budget Control Act of 2011
Aug 1, 2011. Passed 269/161.
The Budget Control Act of 2011 (Pub.L. 112–25, S. 365, 125 Stat. 240, enacted August 2, 2011) is a federal statute in the United States that was signed into law by President Barack Obama on August 2, 2011. The Act brought conclusion to the United ...
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.R. 31 (111th): Lumbee Recognition Act
Jun 3, 2009. Passed 240/179.
From Jan 2003 to Jan 2018, Nunes missed 304 of 10,854 roll call votes, which is 2.8%. This is on par with the median of 2.3% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 102 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: