DeGette is the representative for Colorado’s 1st congressional district (view map) and is a Democrat. She has served since Jan 7, 1997. DeGette is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for DeGette.
DeGette is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills DeGette has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Feb 25, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
DeGette was the primary sponsor of 7 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 3443 (116th): Over-the-Counter Monograph Safety, Innovation, and Reform Act of 2019
- H.R. 3303 (116th): Strengthening U.S. Olympics Act
- H.R. 1688 (116th): Native American Indian Education Act
- H.R. 1184 (116th): Every Kid Outdoors Act
- H.R. 518 (115th): EPS Improvement Act of 2017
- H.R. 3271 (115th): Protecting Access to Diabetes Supplies Act of 2017
- H.R. 6469 (110th): Stephanie Tubbs Jones Organ Transplant Authorization Act of 2008
Does 7 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
DeGette sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of DeGette’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 869: To authorize appropriations to offset costs resulting from reductions in research productivity in ...
- H.R. 803: Colorado Wilderness Act of 2021
- H.R. 747: To amend the Public Health Service Act to authorize grants for acquiring equipment ...
- H.R. 9002 (116th): ChiPACC Act of 2020
- H.Res. 1237 (116th): Supporting the goals and ideals of American Diabetes Month.
- H.R. 7516 (116th): Clean Energy Innovation and Deployment Act of 2020
- H.R. 7517 (116th): Protect Access to Birth Control Act
From Jan 1997 to Feb 2021, DeGette missed 652 of 15,709 roll call votes, which is 4.2%. This is worse than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: