Hastings was the representative for Washington’s 4th congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 1995 to 2014.
Read our 2014 Report Card for Hastings.
Hastings is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2014 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Hastings sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2009 to Dec 11, 2014. See full analysis methodology.
Hastings was the primary sponsor of 10 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 1158 (113th): North Cascades National Park Service Complex Fish Stocking Act
- H.R. 527 (113th): Helium Stewardship Act of 2013
- H.R. 2245 (110th): To designate the Department of Veterans Affairs outpatient clinic in Wenatchee, Washington, as the Elwood “Bud” Link Department of Veterans Affairs Outpatient Clinic.
- H.R. 386 (110th): Yakima-Tieton Irrigation District Conveyance Act of 2007
- H.R. 3971 (107th): To provide for an independent investigation of Forest Service firefighter deaths that are caused by wildfire entrapment or burnover.
- H.R. 3986 (106th): To provide for a study of the engineering feasibility of a water exchange in lieu of electrification of the Chandler Pumping Plant at Prosser Diversion Dam, Washington.
- H.R. 3447 (106th): To amend the Pacific Northwest Electric Power Planning and Conservation Act to provide for sales of electricity by the Bonneville Power Authority to joint operating entities.
Does 10 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Hastings sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Recently Introduced Bills
Hastings recently introduced the following legislation:
- H.R. 5476 (113th): Cabin Fee Act of 2014
- H.R. 5412 (113th): Bureau of Reclamation Surface Water Storage Streamlining Act
- H.R. 4899 (113th): Lowering Gasoline Prices to Fuel an America That Works Act of 2014
- H.R. 4873 (113th): Cabin Fee Act of 2014
- H.R. 4742 (113th): Strengthening Fishing Communities and Increasing Flexibility in Fisheries Management Act
- H.R. 4315 (113th): Endangered Species Transparency and Reasonableness Act
- H.R. 3981 (113th): Accelerated Revenue, Repayment, and Surface Water Storage Enhancement Act
Most legislation has no activity after being introduced.
From Jan 1995 to Dec 2014, Hastings missed 416 of 13,509 roll call votes, which is 3.1%. This is on par with the median of 2.5% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2014. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: