Read our 2014 Report Card for Hastings.
Our unique analysis of the bills Hastings sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 2014. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Hastings is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Hastings was the primary sponsor of 9 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 1158 (113th): North Cascades National Park Service Complex Fish Stocking Act
- H.R. 527 (113th): Helium Stewardship Act of 2013
- H.R. 2245 (110th): To designate the Department of Veterans Affairs outpatient clinic in Wenatchee, Washington, as the Elwood “Bud” Link Department of Veterans Affairs Outpatient Clinic.
- H.R. 3971 (107th): To provide for an independent investigation of Forest Service firefighter deaths that are caused by wildfire entrapment or burnover.
- H.R. 3986 (106th): To provide for a study of the engineering feasibility of a water exchange in lieu of electrification of the Chandler Pumping Plant at Prosser Diversion Dam, Washington.
- H.R. 3447 (106th): To amend the Pacific Northwest Electric Power Planning and Conservation Act to provide for sales of electricity by the Bonneville Power Authority to joint operating entities.
- H.R. 3520 (105th): To adjust the boundaries of the Lake Chelan National Recreation Area and the adjacent Wenatchee National Forest in the State of Washington.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Hastings sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Hastings’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5476 (113th): Cabin Fee Act of 2014
- H.R. 5412 (113th): Bureau of Reclamation Surface Water Storage Streamlining Act
- H.R. 4899 (113th): Lowering Gasoline Prices to Fuel an America That Works Act of 2014
- H.R. 4873 (113th): Cabin Fee Act of 2014
- H.R. 4742 (113th): Strengthening Fishing Communities and Increasing Flexibility in Fisheries Management Act
- H.R. 4315 (113th): Endangered Species Transparency and Reasonableness Act
- H.R. 3981 (113th): Accelerated Revenue, Repayment, and Surface Water Storage Enhancement Act
From Jan 1995 to Dec 2014, Hastings missed 416 of 13,509 roll call votes, which is 3.1%. This is on par with the median of 2.5% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2014. ProPublica has tracked 8 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: