Clancy was the representative for Ohio’s 2nd congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 1961 to 1976.
Clancy is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1976 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Clancy sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Clancy was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 12920 (94th): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 to permit tax-free rollovers of distributions from employee retirement plans in the event of plan termination.
- H.R. 7709 (94th): A bill to continue for a temporary period the existing suspension of duty on certain istle.
- H.R. 11347 (93rd): A bill to provide a 7-percent increase in social security benefits beginning with March 1974 and an additional 4-percent increase beginning with June 1974, to provide increases ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Clancy sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Taxation (24%) Social Welfare (19%) Crime and Law Enforcement (13%) Government Operations and Politics (13%) Labor and Employment (9%) Education (7%) Armed Forces and National Security (7%) Agriculture and Food (7%)
Some of Clancy’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 15663 (94th): A bill to amend the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970 ...
- H.R. 15009 (94th): A bill for the relief of Amy Chan.
- H.R. 14887 (94th): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 to prohibit ...
- H.R. 14888 (94th): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 to allow ...
- H.R. 14574 (94th): A bill to increase for a 5-year period the duty on certain ...
- H.R. 14241 (94th): A bill to amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to ...
- H.R. 13454 (94th): Consumer Communications Reform Act
From Jan 1961 to Oct 1976, Clancy missed 524 of 4,786 roll call votes, which is 10.9%. This is on par with the median of 8.7% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1976. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills