Clausen, a Republican, was the representative for California's 2nd congressional district from 1975 to 1982.
He was previously the representative for California's 1st congressional district (1963-1974).
Clausen is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1982 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Clausen sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Clausen was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 7159 (97th): A bill to amend the Federal Water Pollution Control Act to allow modifications of certain effluent limitations relating to biochemical oxygen demand and pH.
- H.R. 4125 (94th): A bill to designate the Veterans’ Administration hospital in Loma Linda, Calif., as the “Jerry L. Pettis Memorial Veterans’ Hospital”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Clausen sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (26%) International Affairs (16%) Environmental Protection (14%) Taxation (12%) Education (9%) Crime and Law Enforcement (9%) Social Welfare (9%) Labor and Employment (7%)
Some of Clausen’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 7258 (97th): Capital Improvement Act of 1982
- H.R. 7159 (97th): A bill to amend the Federal Water Pollution Control Act to allow ...
- H.R. 7020 (97th): United States Academy of Freedom Act
- H.R. 6144 (97th): A bill relating to the disposal of low-level radioactive waste in ocean ...
- H.R. 5980 (97th): A bill to amend the National Housing Act to provide for emergency ...
- H.R. 5809 (97th): A bill to rescind the tax benefits provided during 1981 to Members ...
- H.R. 3713 (97th): Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 1981
From Feb 1963 to Dec 1982, Clausen missed 831 of 8,172 roll call votes, which is 10.2%. This is on par with the median of 7.8% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 1982. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills