Manzullo, a Republican, was the representative for Illinois’s 16th congressional district from 1993 to 2012.
Manzullo is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2013 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Manzullo sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Manzullo was the primary sponsor of 7 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 6159 (109th): SBA Programs Extension bill
- H.R. 5008 (108th): To provide an additional temporary extension of programs under the Small Business Act and the Small Business Investment Act of 1958 through September 30, 2004, and for ...
- H.R. 4062 (108th): To provide for an additional temporary extension of programs under the Small Business Act and the Small Business Investment Act of 1958 through June 4, 2004, and ...
- H.R. 3915 (108th): To provide for an additional temporary extension of programs under the Small Business Act and the Small Business Investment Act of 1958 through April 2, 2004.
- H.R. 3346 (107th): To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to simplify the reporting requirements relating to higher education tuition and related expenses.
- H.R. 3381 (106th): Export Enhancement Act of 1999
- H.R. 325 (104th): To amend the Clean Air Act to provide for an optional provision for the reduction of work-related vehicle trips and miles traveled in ozone nonattainment areas designated ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Manzullo sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Foreign Trade and International Finance (20%) Government Operations and Politics (17%) International Affairs (17%) Taxation (11%) Commerce (11%) Transportation and Public Works (9%) Science, Technology, Communications (9%) Crime and Law Enforcement (6%)
Some of Manzullo’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6040 (112th): Continued Free Association with Palau Act of 2012
- H.R. 5952 (112th): To require each Federal agency to submit and obtain approval from the ...
- H.R. 4486 (112th): To suspend temporarily the duty on polypropylene fiber with tow bundles comprised ...
- H.R. 4487 (112th): To suspend temporarily the duty on polyester fiber with tow bundles comprised ...
- H.Res. 586 (112th): Expressing the concern of Congress regarding the Argentine Republic’s willful and repeated ...
- H.R. 2866 (112th): Mechanical Insulation Installation Incentive Act of 2011
- H.Res. 396 (112th): Encouraging energy efficient and environment-friendly building and facility programs to incorporate the ...
|Manzullo’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 6233 (112th): Agricultural Disaster Assistance Act of 2012
Aug 2, 2012. Passed 223/197.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
S. 990 (112th): PATRIOT Sunsets Extension Act of 2011
May 26, 2011. Passed 250/153.
S. 3729 (111th): National Aeronautics and Space Administration Authorization Act of 2010
Sep 29, 2010. Passed 304/118.
H.R. 2965 (111th): Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell Repeal Act of 2010
Jul 8, 2009. Passed 386/41.
The Don't Ask, Don't Tell Repeal Act of 2010 (H.R. 2965, S. 4023) is a landmark United States federal statute enacted in December 2010 that established a process for ending the Don't ask, don't tell (DADT) policy (10 U.S.C. § 654), thus allowing gays, lesbians, ...
H.R. 7321 (110th): Auto Industry Financing and Restructuring Act
Dec 10, 2008. Passed 237/170.
H.R. 6707 (110th): Taking Responsible Action for Community Safety Act
Sep 27, 2008. Failed 243/175.
H.R. 5819 (110th): SBIR/STTR Reauthorization Act
Apr 23, 2008. Passed 368/43.
H.Res. 801 (110th): Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 3688) to implement the United States-Peru Trade Promotion Agreement.
Nov 7, 2007. Passed 349/55.
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
From Jan 1993 to Jan 2013, Manzullo missed 393 of 13,431 roll call votes, which is 2.9%. This is on par with the median of 2.6% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Jan 2013. ProPublica has tracked 109 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: