Read our 2020 Report Card for McEachin.
McEachin is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills McEachin has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Apr 8, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Donald McEachin sits on the following committees:
McEachin was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 3847 (116th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 117 West Poythress Street in Hopewell, Virginia, as the “Reverend Curtis West Harris Post Office ...
- H.R. 3325 (116th): Locking Up Robocallers Act of 2019
- H.R. 4820 (115th): ASK Act
Does 3 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
McEachin sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Environmental Protection (32%) Energy (17%) Government Operations and Politics (12%) Taxation (10%) Health (10%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (10%) Armed Forces and National Security (5%) Housing and Community Development (5%)
Some of McEachin’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 2331: To amend title 36, United States Code, to designate the Honor and Remember ...
- H.Res. 171: Honoring the life and work of Cecil Corbin-Mark, a highly respected leader in ...
- H.R. 1154: Great Dismal Swamp National Heritage Area Act
- H.R. 569: Defend our Coast Act
- H.R. 570: Offshore Accountability Act of 2021
- H.R. 408: Department of Homeland Security Mentor-Protégé Program Act of 2021
- H.R. 8803 (116th): Justice Hotline Act of 2020
From Jan 2017 to Mar 2021, McEachin missed 222 of 2,261 roll call votes, which is 9.8%. This is much worse than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: