McEachin is the representative for Virginia’s 4th congressional district (view map) and is a Democrat. He has served since Jan 3, 2017. McEachin is next up for reelection in 2020 and serves until Jan 3, 2021 unless re-elected.
Read our 2019 Report Card for McEachin.
McEachin is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills McEachin has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Aug 7, 2020. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Donald McEachin sits on the following committees:
McEachin was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
Does 2 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
McEachin sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Environmental Protection (30%) Energy (15%) Taxation (12%) Government Operations and Politics (12%) Health (12%) Armed Forces and National Security (6%) Immigration (6%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (6%)
Some of McEachin’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 7647: To provide for a COVID-19-related delay regarding annual limitation on cost-sharing for group ...
- H.R. 7550: Confederate Commemorative Works Inventory and Joint Resource Study Act
- H.R. 6826: To require the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency to continue to update ...
- H.Res. 932: Expressing support for honoring the 50th anniversary of Earth Day, and for other ...
- H.Res. 853: Recognizing the maternal health crisis in the United States and the importance of ...
- H.R. 5853: Great Dismal Swamp National Heritage Area Act
- H.R. 5695: Offshore Accountability Act of 2020
From Jan 2017 to Jul 2020, McEachin missed 221 of 2,089 roll call votes, which is 10.6%. This is much worse than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: