Read our 2018 Report Card for Payne.
Payne is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Payne has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Oct 18, 2019. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Donald Payne Jr. sits on the following committees:
- House Committee on Homeland Security
- House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure
Payne was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 615 (114th): DHS Interoperable Communications Act
- H.R. 1376 (113th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 369 Martin Luther King Jr. Drive in Jersey City, New Jersey, as the “Judge Shirley ...
Does 2 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Payne sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Payne’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 601: Supporting the designation of October 5, 2019, as National Ostomy Awareness Day.
- H.Res. 584: Expressing support for the designation of September 2019 as “National Prostate Cancer Awareness ...
- H.Res. 550: Expressing support of the designation of September 2019 as Peripheral Artery Disease Awareness ...
- H.R. 3480: Aviation Humanitarian Crisis Act of 2019
- H.R. 3481: To direct the Secretary of Transportation to issue regulations to require air carriers ...
- H.Con.Res. 48: Supporting National Men’s Health Week.
- H.R. 2932: Homeland Security for Children Act
From Nov 2012 to Oct 2019, Payne missed 446 of 4,363 roll call votes, which is 10.2%. This is much worse than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: