Payne is the representative for New Jersey’s 10th congressional district (view map) and is a Democrat. He has served since Nov 15, 2012. Payne is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Payne.
Payne is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Payne has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jun 16, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Donald Payne Jr. sits on the following committees:
Payne was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1570 (116th): Removing Barriers to Colorectal Cancer Screening Act of 2020
- H.R. 615 (114th): DHS Interoperable Communications Act
- H.R. 1376 (113th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 369 Martin Luther King Jr. Drive in Jersey City, New Jersey, as the “Judge Shirley ...
Does 3 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Payne sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Payne’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 481: Expressing support for health and wellness coaches.
- H.Res. 482: Supporting National Men’s Health Week.
- H.R. 3159: To authorize the Director of the Bureau of Justice Assistance to make grants ...
- H.R. 2937: Rail Passenger Fairness Act
- H.R. 2744: Hazardous Duty Pay for Frontline Federal Workers Act
- H.R. 2743: First Responder Access to Innovative Technologies Act
- H.R. 2631: ARC Act of 2021
From Nov 2012 to Jun 2021, Payne missed 469 of 4,919 roll call votes, which is 9.5%. This is much worse than the median of 2.0% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: