Our unique analysis of the bills Stewart sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the Senate in 1980. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Stewart is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Stewart sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Private Legislation (21%) Economics and Public Finance (21%) Finance and Financial Sector (17%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (8%) Taxation (8%) Commerce (8%) Government Operations and Politics (8%) Agriculture and Food (8%)
Some of Stewart’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 2974 (96th): A bill to amend section 5137 of the Revised Statutes.
- S. 2954 (96th): A bill to amend title V of the Rural Development Act of ...
- S. 2713 (96th): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 with respect ...
- S. 2716 (96th): An original bill to authorize appropriations for flood mapping studies for fiscal ...
- S. 2677 (96th): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 to provide ...
- S. 2670 (96th): A bill to authorize appropriations for the studies under the National Flood ...
- S.Res. 414 (96th): A resolution to commend the National Forensic League on its Golden Anniversary ...
From Feb 1979 to Dec 1980, Stewart missed 164 of 1,054 roll call votes, which is 15.6%. This is much worse than the median of 9.2% among the lifetime records of senators serving in Dec 1980. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- Congress-Legislators, a community project collecting election information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills