Owens is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1992 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Owens sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Owens was the primary sponsor of 9 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 5164 (102nd): For the relief of Craig B. Sorensen and Nita M. Sorensen.
- H.R. 1808 (102nd): To permit Mount Olivet Cemetery Association of Salt Lake City, Utah, to lease a certain tract of land for a period of not more than 70 years.
- H.R. 2372 (101st): Radiation Exposure Compensation Act
- H.J.Res. 418 (101st): Calling for the United States to encourage immediate negotiations toward a new agreement among Antarctic Treaty Consultative Parties, for the full protection of Antarctica as a global ...
- H.R. 3311 (101st): To redesignate the United States Post Office/Court House located in Salt Lake City, Utah, as the “Frank E. Moss Federal Building”.
- H.R. 3408 (100th): A bill to increase the amounts authorized for the Colorado River Storage Project.
- H.R. 2370 (100th): Economic Development Plan for the Northwestern Band of the Shoshoni Nation Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Owens sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Environmental Protection (20%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (17%) International Affairs (15%) Government Operations and Politics (14%) Economics and Public Finance (11%) Taxation (9%) Health (8%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (7%)
Some of Owens’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6068 (102nd): Small Business Recession Relief Act of 1992
- H.Con.Res. 364 (102nd): Congratulating the Government and people of Oman on the forthcoming 160th anniversary ...
- H.R. 5991 (102nd): Supplemental Security Income Reform Act of 1992
- H.R. 5722 (102nd): To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to encourage the removal ...
- H.R. 5609 (102nd): Superfund Equitable Liability and Improved Cleanup Act
- H.J.Res. 487 (102nd): To designate June 10, 1992, through June 16, 1992, as “International Student ...
- H.R. 5162 (102nd): Earth Summit Leadership Act of 1992
From Jan 1973 to Oct 1992, Owens missed 334 of 3,853 roll call votes, which is 8.7%. This is worse than the median of 4.4% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1992. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills