Our unique analysis of the bills Walgren sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 1990. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Walgren is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Walgren was the primary sponsor of 8 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 996 (101st): Excellence in Mathematics, Science and Engineering Education Act of 1990
- H.R. 3968 (101st): To amend the Organ Transplant Amendments Act of 1988 to change an effective date.
- H.R. 4418 (100th): National Science Foundation Authorization Act of 1988
- H.R. 4417 (100th): A bill to authorize appropriations to the Secretary of Commerce for the programs of the National Bureau of Standards for fiscal year 1989, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 4419 (100th): A bill to authorize appropriations for activities under the Federal Fire Prevention and Control Act of 1974.
- H.J.Res. 417 (100th): A joint resolution designating May 1988 as “Neurofibromatosis Awareness Month”.
- H.R. 812 (100th): Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Improvement Act of 1987
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Walgren sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Health (22%) Science, Technology, Communications (15%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (13%) Economics and Public Finance (11%) Government Operations and Politics (10%) Education (10%) Social Welfare (10%) Environmental Protection (10%)
Some of Walgren’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5958 (101st): Tropical Forest Consumer Information and Protection Act of 1990
- H.R. 5930 (101st): To provide authority for the President to seize Iraqi-held interests in U.S. ...
- H.R. 5543 (101st): Behavioral and Social Sciences Directorate Act of 1990
- H.R. 5225 (101st): To amend the Defense Production Act of 1950 to clarify and strengthen ...
- H.R. 5224 (101st): Gas Related Activities Act of 1990
- H.R. 4951 (101st): Medicare Home Hemodialysis Improvement Act of 1990
- H.R. 4952 (101st): Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 1990
View All » (including bills from previous years)
From Jan 1977 to Oct 1990, Walgren missed 400 of 7,267 roll call votes, which is 5.5%. This is on par with the median of 4.8% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1990. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- Congressional Biographical Directory for elected positions
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills