Our unique analysis of the bills Barnard sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 1992. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Barnard is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Barnard was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 6000 (102nd): To redesignate Springer Mountain National Recreation Area as “Ed Jenkins National Recreation Area”.
- H.R. 3654 (102nd): 1996 Atlanta Centennial Olympic Games Commemorative Coin Act
- H.R. 1864 (100th): A bill for the relief of Helen Lannier.
- H.R. 3484 (97th): George Washington Commemorative Coin Act
- H.R. 3396 (96th): A bill for the relief of George David Maxwell, M.D.
- H.R. 5097 (95th): A bill for the relief of Dr. Daryl C. Johnson.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Barnard sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Finance and Financial Sector (37%) Government Operations and Politics (29%) Taxation (10%) Crime and Law Enforcement (5%) Health (5%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (5%) Housing and Community Development (5%) Economics and Public Finance (5%)
Some of Barnard’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6036 (102nd): Monetary Policy and Treasury Finance Enhancement Act of 1992
- H.R. 6000 (102nd): To redesignate Springer Mountain National Recreation Area as “Ed Jenkins National Recreation ...
- H.R. 5460 (102nd): Augusta Canal National Heritage Area Study Act of 1992
- H.R. 5311 (102nd): Federal Banking Agency Consolidation Act of 1992
- H.R. 5312 (102nd): To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide that information ...
- H.R. 5011 (102nd): Employment Tax Improvement Act of 1992
- H.R. 4462 (102nd): To amend the Water Resources Development Act of 1986 to direct the ...
From Jan 1977 to Oct 1992, Barnard missed 1,098 of 8,199 roll call votes, which is 13.4%. This is much worse than the median of 4.4% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1992. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- Congress-Legislators, a community project collecting election information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills