Read our 2016 Report Card for Hunter.
Our unique analysis of the bills Hunter has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Hunter is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Duncan Hunter sits on the following committees:
- House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure
- House Committee on Armed Services
House Committee on Education and the Workforce
- Member, Subcommittee on Early Childhood, Elementary, and Secondary Education
- Member, Subcommittee on Workforce Protections
Hunter was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 4188 (114th): Coast Guard Authorization Act of 2015
- H.R. 1987 (114th): Coast Guard Authorization Act of 2015
- H.R. 4062 (112th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 1444 Main Street in Ramona, California, as the “Nelson ‘Mac’ MacWilliams Post Office Building”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Hunter sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Transportation and Public Works (27%) Armed Forces and National Security (23%) International Affairs (13%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (10%) Private Legislation (8%) Education (8%) Health (6%) Environmental Protection (6%)
Some of Hunter’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 2693: To amend the Federal Water Pollution Control Act to limit attorney fees and ...
- H.R. 2593: Federal Maritime Commission Authorization Act of 2017
- H.R. 2518: Coast Guard Authorization Act of 2017
- H.R. 2194: Cigarette Smoking Reduction and Electronic Vapor Alternatives Act of 2017
- H.Res. 261: Honoring and remembering on National Former POW Recognition Day and the 75th Anniversary ...
- H.R. 1726: Coast Guard Improvement and Reform Act of 2017
- H.R. 1490: For the relief of Roberto Luis Dunoyer Mejia, Consuelo Cardona Molina, Camilo Dunoyer ...
|Hunter’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 3038: Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2015, Part II
Jul 15, 2015. Passed 312/119.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.J.Res. 35: Making further continuing appropriations for fiscal year 2015, and for other purposes.
Feb 27, 2015. Failed 203/224.
H.R. 212: Drinking Water Protection Act
Feb 24, 2015. Passed 375/37.
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 3521 (112th): Expedited Legislative Line-Item Veto and Rescissions Act of 2012
Feb 8, 2012. Passed 254/173.
S. 365 (112th): Budget Control Act of 2011
Aug 1, 2011. Passed 269/161.
The Budget Control Act of 2011 (Pub.L. 112–25, S. 365, 125 Stat. 240, enacted August 2, 2011) is a federal statute in the United States that was signed into law by President Barack Obama on August 2, 2011. The Act brought conclusion to the United ...
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
From Jan 2009 to Jun 2017, Hunter missed 139 of 6,112 roll call votes, which is 2.3%. This is on par with the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 53 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: