Johnson is the representative for South Dakota’s at-large district and is a Republican. He has served since Jan 3, 2019. Johnson is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Johnson is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Johnson has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jan 15, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Johnson was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 2454: To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 123 East Sharpfish Street in Rosebud, South Dakota, as the “Ben Reifel Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 382: To provide for the conveyance of the Custer County Airport, and for other purposes.
Does 2 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Johnson sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Johnson’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.J.Res. 11: Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to require that ...
- H.J.Res. 98: Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to repeal the ...
- H.R. 8539: District of Columbia-Maryland Reunion Act
- H.R. 8489: PRICE Act
- H.R. 8299: Gilt Edge Mine Conveyance Act
- H.R. 8070: PRINT Act
- H.R. 7778: Expanding Child Care Access Grants Act of 2020
From Jan 2019 to Jan 2021, Johnson missed 7 of 971 roll call votes, which is 0.7%. This is better than the median of 2.0% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: