Johnson is the representative for South Dakota’s at-large district and is a Republican. He has served since Jan 3, 2019. Johnson is next up for reelection in 2024 and serves until Jan 3, 2025. He is 46 years old.
Read our 2022 Report Card for Johnson.
Johnson is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Johnson has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2019 to Mar 17, 2023. See full analysis methodology.
Dusty Johnson sits on the following committees:
Johnson was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 2454 (116th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 123 East Sharpfish Street in Rosebud, South Dakota, as the “Ben Reifel Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 382 (116th): To provide for the conveyance of the Custer County Airport, and for other purposes.
Does 2 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Johnson sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Agriculture and Food (27%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (16%) Government Operations and Politics (16%) Native Americans (10%) Labor and Employment (10%) Transportation and Public Works (8%) Crime and Law Enforcement (6%) Health (6%)
Recently Introduced Bills
Johnson recently introduced the following legislation:
- H.R. 1581: To amend the Food and Nutrition Act of 2008 to standardize work requirements …
- H.R. 1508: To amend chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, to define “State …
- H.R. 1184: Healthy Dog Importation Act
- H.R. 559: Butcher Block Act
- H.R. 471: To amend title 23, United States Code, with respect to commercial motor vehicle …
- H.R. 386: Mount Rushmore Protection Act
- H.J.Res. 8: Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to require that …
View All » | View Cosponsors »
Most legislation has no activity after being introduced.
From Jan 2019 to Mar 2023, Johnson missed 13 of 2,095 roll call votes, which is 0.6%. This is better than the median of 1.5% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses, major life events, and running for higher office.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- Office of Dusty Johnson for the photo
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills