Evans is the representative for Pennsylvania’s 3rd congressional district (view map) and is a Democrat. He has served since Jan 3, 2019. Evans is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
He was previously the representative for Pennsylvania’s 2nd congressional district as a Democrat from 2016 to 2018.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Evans.
Evans is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Evans has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jun 11, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Dwight Evans sits on the following committees:
Evans was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 6347 (115th): 7(a) Real Estate Appraisal Harmonization Act
- H.R. 2655 (115th): Small Business Innovation Protection Act of 2017
Does 2 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Evans sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Commerce (32%) Health (16%) Crime and Law Enforcement (12%) Finance and Financial Sector (8%) Education (8%) Housing and Community Development (8%) Taxation (8%) Government Operations and Politics (8%)
Some of Evans’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 2649: Homegrown Act of 2021
- H.Con.Res. 28: Directing the Architect of the Capitol to transfer the catafalque situated in the ...
- H.Con.Res. 27: Permitting the remains of the late United States Capitol Police Officer William F. ...
- H.R. 2312: Mentoring and Supporting Families Act
- H.R. 1560: Resources for Victims of Gun Violence Act of 2021
- H.R. 8660 (116th): To direct the Secretary of Labor to modify regulations to allow the ...
- H.R. 8003 (116th): Helping HOMES Act of 2020
From Nov 2016 to May 2021, Evans missed 28 of 2,367 roll call votes, which is 1.2%. This is better than the median of 2.0% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: