Read our 2016 Report Card for Blumenauer.
Our unique analysis of the bills Blumenauer has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Blumenauer is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Earl Blumenauer sits on the following committees:
Blumenauer was the primary sponsor of 7 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 2901 (113th): Senator Paul Simon Water for the World Act of 2014
- H.R. 5195 (113th): Emergency Afghan Allies Extension Act of 2014
- H.R. 3233 (113th): To extend the period during which Iraqis who were employed by the United States Government in Iraq may be granted special immigrant status and to temporarily increase ...
- H.R. 1890 (113th): Balancing Food, Farm, and the Environment Act of 2013
- H.R. 2971 (111th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 630 Northeast Killingsworth Avenue in Portland, Oregon, as the “Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Post ...
- H.R. 1973 (109th): Senator Paul Simon Water for the Poor Act of 2005
- H.R. 427 (107th): To provide further protections for the watershed of the Little Sandy River as part of the Bull Run Watershed Management Unit, Oregon, and for other purposes.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Blumenauer sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Taxation (34%) Transportation and Public Works (14%) Health (11%) Armed Forces and National Security (11%) Environmental Protection (9%) Crime and Law Enforcement (8%) Government Operations and Politics (8%) Animals (5%)
Some of Blumenauer’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 3420: American Opportunity Carbon Fee Act of 2017
- H.R. 3305: Bikeshare Transit Act of 2017
- H.R. 2877: PARIS Act of 2017
- H.R. 2797: Patient Choice and Quality Care Act of 2017
- H.J.Res. 105: Condemning the deadly attack on May 26, 2017, in Portland, Oregon, expressing deepest ...
- H.R. 2669: Vote By Mail Act of 2017
- H.R. 2668: Smarter Approach to Nuclear Expenditures Act
|Blumenauer’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 1039: Probation Officer Protection Act of 2017
May 19, 2017. Passed 229/177.
H.R. 1039 amends the federal criminal code to authorize a probation officer to arrest a person, without warrant, if there is probable cause to believe that person forcibly assaulted or obstructed a probation officer while performing their official duties. The bill also would direct the ...
H.R. 3038: Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2015, Part II
Jul 15, 2015. Passed 312/119.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.J.Res. 35: Making further continuing appropriations for fiscal year 2015, and for other purposes.
Feb 27, 2015. Failed 203/224.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 2362 (112th): Indian Tribal Trade and Investment Demonstration Project Act of 2011
Jul 23, 2012. Failed 222/160.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.Res. 317 (111th): Recognizing the region from Manhattan, Kansas, to Columbia, Missouri, as the Kansas City Animal Health Corridor, and ...
Sep 15, 2009. Passed 312/108.
H.R. 2638 (110th): Consolidated Security, Disaster Assistance, and Continuing Appropriations Act, 2009
Sep 24, 2008. Passed 370/58.
From May 1996 to Jul 2017, Blumenauer missed 589 of 14,185 roll call votes, which is 4.2%. This is worse than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 57 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: