Blumenauer is the representative for Oregon’s 3rd congressional district (view map) and is a Democrat. He has served since May 21, 1996. Blumenauer is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Blumenauer.
Blumenauer is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Blumenauer has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jul 27, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Earl Blumenauer sits on the following committees:
Blumenauer was the primary sponsor of 9 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 91 (116th): Columbia River In-Lieu and Treaty Fishing Access Sites Improvement Act
- H.R. 2062 (116th): Overdose Prevention and Patient Safety Act
- H.R. 2007 (116th): To require the Secretary of the Treasury to establish a program for the automated disclosure of taxpayer information for third-party income verification, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 2901 (113th): Senator Paul Simon Water for the World Act of 2014
- H.R. 5195 (113th): Emergency Afghan Allies Extension Act of 2014
- H.R. 3233 (113th): To extend the period during which Iraqis who were employed by the United States Government in Iraq may be granted special immigrant status and to temporarily increase ...
- H.R. 2971 (111th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 630 Northeast Killingsworth Avenue in Portland, Oregon, as the “Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Post ...
Does 9 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Blumenauer sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Blumenauer’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4301: Primary Care Enhancement Act of 2021
- H.R. 4079: Saving America’s Pollinators Act of 2021
- H.R. 3975: Generalized System of Preferences and Miscellaneous Tariff Bill Modernization Act of 2021
- H.R. 3974: To extend the trade adjustment assistance program, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 3808: Medicare IVIG Access Enhancement Act
- H.R. 3807: Restaurant Revitalization Fund Replenishment Act of 2021
- H.R. 3653: Smarter Approaches to Nuclear Expenditures Act
From May 1996 to Jul 2021, Blumenauer missed 663 of 16,154 roll call votes, which is 4.1%. This is worse than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: