Case is the representative for Hawaii’s 1st congressional district (view map) and is a Democrat. He has served since Jan 3, 2019. Case is next up for reelection in 2020 and serves until Jan 3, 2021 unless re-elected.
He was previously the representative for Hawaii’s 2nd congressional district as a Democrat from 2003 to 2006.
Read our 2019 Report Card for Case.
Case is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Case has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Jul 9, 2020. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Ed Case sits on the following committees:
Case was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 2619 (108th): Kilauea Point National Wildlife Refuge Expansion Act of 2004
- H.R. 2030 (108th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 120 Baldwin Avenue in Paia, Maui, Hawaii, as the “Patsy Takemoto Mink Post Office Building”.
Does 2 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Case sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Case’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 7128: Air Travel Public Health Emergency Protection Act
- H.R. 7045: To require the Secretary of Agriculture to conduct a study on lands that ...
- H.R. 6738: Coral Reef Conservation Reauthorization Act of 2020
- H.R. 6603: Ka`ena Point National Heritage Area Act
- H.R. 5498: Noncontiguous Shipping Relief Act of 2019
- H.R. 5506: Hawaii Invasive Species Protection Act
- H.R. 5499: Noncontiguous Shipping Reasonable Rate Act of 2019
From Jan 2003 to Jul 2020, Case missed 152 of 3,274 roll call votes, which is 4.6%. This is worse than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: