Biester, a Republican, was the representative for Pennsylvania's 8th congressional district from 1967 to 1976.
Biester is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1976 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Biester sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Biester sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Labor and Employment (22%) Government Operations and Politics (22%) Armed Forces and National Security (18%) Social Welfare (14%) International Affairs (14%) Education (5%) Taxation (4%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (3%)
Some of Biester’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 1572 (94th): A resolution to establish a John W. McCormack senior intern program.
- H.R. 14280 (94th): Joint Committee on Intelligence Operations Act
- H.R. 13769 (94th): Joint Committee on Intelligence Operations Act
- H.R. 13684 (94th): International Investment Survey Act
- H.R. 12618 (94th): Joint Committee on Intelligence Operations Act
- H.R. 10127 (94th): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 to provide, ...
- H.R. 9805 (94th): A bill to provide for a procedure to investigate and render decisions ...
From Jan 1967 to Oct 1976, Biester missed 224 of 3,921 roll call votes, which is 5.7%. This is better than the median of 8.7% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1976. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills