Sen. Edward “Ed” Markey
Senator from Massachusetts
|Dates||Title||State / District|
|Representative||Massachusetts's 5th District|
|Representative||Massachusetts's 7th District|
2014 Report CardRead our 2014 Report Card for Markey »
Our unique analysis of the bills Markey has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the Senate. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Markey is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Edward “Ed” Markey sits on the following committees:
Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation
- Member, Subcommittee on Aviation Operations, Safety, and Security
- Member, Subcommittee on Communications, Technology, Innovation, and the Internet
- Member, Subcommittee on Consumer Protection, Product Safety, Insurance, and Data Security
- Member, Subcommittee on Oceans, Atmosphere, Fisheries, and Coast Guard
- Member, Subcommittee on Space, Science, and Competitiveness
- Member, Subcommittee on Surface Transportation and Merchant Marine Infrastructure, Safety, and Security
- Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works
Senate Committee on Foreign Relations
- Ranking Member, Subcommittee on Africa and Global Health Policy
- Member, Subcommittee on Europe and Regional Security Cooperation
- Member, Subcommittee on Multilateral International Development, Multilateral Institutions, and International Economic, Energy, and Environmental Policy
- Member, Subcommittee on Western Hemisphere, Transnational Crime, Civilian Security, Democracy, Human Rights, and Global Women's Issues
- Senate Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship
Some of Markey’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 635: A bill to amend the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 to ...
- S. 617: A bill to ensure that owners of all motor vehicles in use on ...
- S. 585: A bill to amend the Natural Gas Act with respect to the exportation ...
- S. 513: A bill for the relief of Esther Karinge.
- S.Res. 61: A resolution honoring the life and legacy of Peggy Charren.
- S. 302: International Human Rights Defense Act of 2015
- S. 187: Tar Sands Tax Loophole Elimination Act
View All » (including bills from previous years)
From Jul 2013 to Mar 2015, Markey missed 12 of 551 roll call votes, which is 2.2%. This is worse than the median of 1.6% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Elligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- Congressional Biographical Directory for elected positions
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO Member Guide for the photo
- THOMAS, for sponsored bills
Recent Legislative Activity
Joint Resolution Passed 53/46
Sen. Markey [D-MA]: NayMar 4, 2015 11:38 a.m.
Motion to Proceed Agreed to 53/45
Sen. Markey [D-MA]: NayMar 3, 2015 2:18 p.m.
S. 635: A bill to amend the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 to provide guidance and limitations regarding the integration of unmanned aircraft systems into United States airspace, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Sen. Edward “Ed” Markey [D-MA]
This bill was referred to the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation which will consider it before sending it to the Senate floor for consideration.
Sen. Edward “Ed” Markey [D-MA] is a member of the committee.Mar 3, 2015