2015 Report CardRead our 2015 Report Card for Markey »
Our unique analysis of the bills Markey has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the Senate. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Markey is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Edward “Ed” Markey sits on the following committees:
Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation
- Member, Subcommittee on Aviation Operations, Safety, and Security
- Member, Subcommittee on Communications, Technology, Innovation, and the Internet
- Member, Subcommittee on Consumer Protection, Product Safety, Insurance, and Data Security
- Member, Subcommittee on Oceans, Atmosphere, Fisheries, and Coast Guard
- Member, Subcommittee on Space, Science, and Competitiveness
- Member, Subcommittee on Surface Transportation and Merchant Marine Infrastructure, Safety and Security
Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works
- Ranking Member, Subcommittee on Superfund, Waste Management, and Regulatory Oversight
- Member, Subcommittee on Clean Air and Nuclear Safety
- Member, Subcommittee on Fisheries, Water, and Wildlife
Senate Committee on Foreign Relations
- Ranking Member, Subcommittee on Africa and Global Health Policy
- Member, Subcommittee on Europe and Regional Security Cooperation
- Member, Subcommittee on Multilateral International Development, Multilateral Institutions, and International Economic, Energy, and Environmental Policy
- Member, Subcommittee on Western Hemisphere, Transnational Crime, Civilian Security, Democracy, Human Rights, and Global Women's Issues
- Senate Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship
Markey sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Energy (27%) Health (25%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (12%) Transportation and Public Works (11%) Armed Forces and National Security (7%) Taxation (7%) Crime and Law Enforcement (5%) Commerce (5%)
Some of Markey’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S.Res. 476: A resolution designating the month of May 2016 as “Cystic Fibrosis Awareness Month”.
- S. 2963: Consortia-Led Energy and Advanced Manufacturing Networks Act
- S.Res. 438: A resolution designating September 2016 as “National Brain Aneurysm Awareness Month”.
- S. 2820: Contaminant and Lead Electronic Accounting and Reporting Requirements (CLEARR) for Drinking Water Act ...
- S. 2764: Cyber AIR Act
- S. 2730: Ghost Army Congressional Gold Medal Act
- S. 2731: Cape Cod National Seashore Land Exchange Act
View All » (including bills from previous years)
From Jul 2013 to May 2016, Markey missed 20 of 911 roll call votes, which is 2.2%. This is on par with the median of 1.6% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 10 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- Congressional Biographical Directory for elected positions
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO Member Guide for the photo
- THOMAS, for sponsored bills