Royce was the representative for California’s 39th congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 2013 to 2018.
He was previously the representative for California’s 40th congressional district as a Republican from 2003 to 2012; and the representative for California’s 39th congressional district as a Republican from 1993 to 2002.
Read our 2018 Report Card for Royce.
Royce is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2018 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Royce sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2013 to Dec 21, 2018. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Royce was the primary sponsor of 21 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 3445 (115th): AGOA and MCA Modernization Act
- H.R. 3364 (115th): Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act
- H.R. 1644 (115th): Korean Interdiction and Modernization of Sanctions Act
- H.R. 2358 (115th): Chinese American World War II Veterans Congressional Gold Medal Act
- H.R. 898 (115th): Credit Score Competition Act of 2017
- H.R. 6297 (114th): Iran Sanctions Extension Act
- H.R. 2494 (114th): Eliminate, Neutralize, and Disrupt Wildlife Trafficking Act of 2016
Does 21 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Royce sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Royce’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 7382 (115th): Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac Lobbying Regulation Act of 2018
- H.Res. 1149 (115th): Recognizing that the United States-Republic of Korea alliance serves as a linchpin ...
- H.R. 6402 (115th): National Flood Insurance Program Extension and Enhanced Consumer and Community Protections Act ...
- H.R. 6192 (115th): Credit Services Protection Act of 2018
- H.R. 5677 (115th): International Security Assistance Act of 2018
- H.R. 5592 (115th): Department of State Authorization Act of 2018
- H.R. 5480 (115th): Women’s Entrepreneurship and Economic Empowerment Act of 2018
From Jan 1993 to Dec 2018, Royce missed 367 of 17,170 roll call votes, which is 2.1%. This is on par with the median of 2.5% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2018. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: