Winn, a Republican, was the representative for Kansas’s 3rd congressional district from 1967 to 1984.
Winn is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1984 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Winn sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Winn was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- H.J.Res. 354 (97th): A joint resolution to designate 1982 as the “National Year of Disabled Persons”.
- H.J.Res. 323 (97th): A joint resolution designating “National High School Activities Week”.
- H.R. 3866 (96th): A bill to provide for the distribution of certain funds appropriated to pay judgments in favor of the Delaware Tribe of Indians and the Absentee Delaware Tribe ...
- H.R. 2662 (95th): A bill for the relief of Christopher Robert West.
- H.R. 3382 (94th): A bill for the relief of Raymond Monroe.
- H.J.Res. 474 (93rd): Joint resolution to authorize the President to issue annually a proclamation designating the month of May in each year as “National Arthritis Month”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Winn sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Taxation (24%) Finance and Financial Sector (14%) Science, Technology, Communications (14%) Government Operations and Politics (10%) Civil Rights and Liberties, Minority Issues (10%) International Affairs (10%) Law (10%) Economics and Public Finance (10%)
Some of Winn’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6407 (98th): Valve Engineering Council Act of 1984
- H.Con.Res. 307 (98th): A concurrent resolution in commemoration of the 30th anniversary of the unanimous ...
- H.Con.Res. 300 (98th): A concurrent resolution in commemoration of the 30th anniversary of the unanimous ...
- H.R. 4678 (98th): A bill to preclude changes in the Federal regional office structure except ...
- H.Res. 245 (98th): A resolution establishing a select committee to conduct an investigation and inquiry ...
- H.R. 2553 (98th): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 to increase ...
- H.Con.Res. 39 (98th): A concurrent resolution expressing the sense of the Congress with respect to ...
From Jan 1967 to Oct 1984, Winn missed 871 of 8,455 roll call votes, which is 10.3%. This is worse than the median of 7.0% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1984. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills