Our unique analysis of the bills Zorinsky sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the Senate in 1988. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Zorinsky is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Zorinsky was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- S.J.Res. 51 (100th): A joint resolution to designate the period commencing on July 27, 1987, and ending on August 2, 1987, as “National Czech American Heritage Week”.
- S.J.Res. 65 (100th): A joint resolution to designate the week of April 5, 1987, through April 11, 1987, as “National Know Your Cholesterol Week”.
- S. 822 (99th): A bill to extend the time for conducting the referendum with respect to the national marketing quota for wheat for the marketing year beginning June 1, 1986.
- S. 2269 (96th): An act to extend the Emergency Agricultural Credit Adjustment Act of 1978, and for other purposes.
- S. 142 (95th): A bill for the relief of Gaspar Louis Sayoc.
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Zorinsky sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Agriculture and Food (35%) Environmental Protection (14%) Government Operations and Politics (12%) Finance and Financial Sector (10%) Education (8%) Taxation (8%) Armed Forces and National Security (6%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (6%)
Some of Zorinsky’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S.J.Res. 65 (100th): A joint resolution to designate the week of April 5, 1987, through ...
- S.J.Res. 51 (100th): A joint resolution to designate the period commencing on July 27, 1987, ...
- S. 515 (100th): A bill to provide equitable treatment under the highly-erodible land conservation provisions ...
- S. 403 (100th): A bill to cost-sharing rules of the Missouri National Recreation Area.
- S. 346 (100th): A bill to amend the Railroad Retirement Act of 1974 to allow ...
- S. 311 (100th): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to preclude ...
- S.Res. 507 (99th): A resolution relating to the Small Business Administration’s “opinion molder” regulation.
View All » (including bills from previous years)
From Jan 1977 to Feb 1987, Zorinsky missed 112 of 4,607 roll call votes, which is 2.4%. This is better than the median of 5.9% among the lifetime records of senators serving in Feb 1987. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- Congressional Biographical Directory for elected positions
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills