Luria is the representative for Virginia’s 2nd congressional district (view map) and is a Democrat. She has served since Jan 3, 2019. Luria is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Luria.
Luria is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Luria has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jul 27, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Elaine Luria sits on the following committees:
Luria was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 6168 (116th): Veterans’ Compensation Cost-of-Living Adjustment Act of 2020
- H.R. 8172 (116th): VA Research Technology Act
- H.R. 4566 (116th): Virginia Beach Strong Act
- H.R. 1200 (116th): Veterans’ Compensation Cost-of-Living Adjustment Act of 2019
- H.R. 3305 (116th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 2509 George Mason Drive in Virginia Beach, Virginia, as the “Ryan Keith Cox Post Office ...
- H.R. 2265 (116th): Relocation Expense Parity Act
Does 6 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Luria sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Luria’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4275: Ensuring Phone and Internet Access for SNAP Recipients Act of 2021
- H.R. 4230: Strategic Lebanon Security Reporting Act
- H.R. 3909: Veterans’ Compensation Cost-of-Living Adjustment Act of 2021
- H.R. 3055: Public Health Service Ready Reserve Improvement Act of 2021
- H.R. 2987: Teacher Loan Forgiveness Improvement Act of 2021
- H.R. 2368: COVENANT Act of 2021
- H.Res. 214: Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that Iran must cease enriching ...
From Jan 2019 to Jul 2021, Luria missed 11 of 1,197 roll call votes, which is 0.9%. This is better than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: