Read our 2017 Report Card for Cummings.
Cummings is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Cummings has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Elijah Cummings sits on the following committees:
- Ranking Member, House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform
- House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure
- Joint Economic Committee
Cummings was the primary sponsor of 19 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 2229: All Circuit Review Act
- H.R. 3031: TSP Modernization Act of 2017
- H.R. 5920 (114th): Whistleblower Protections for Contractors Act
- H.R. 1233 (113th): Presidential and Federal Records Act Amendments of 2014
- H.R. 4197 (113th): All Circuit Review Extension Act
- H.R. 4152 (112th): Hatch Act Modernization Act of 2012
- H.R. 5773 (111th): To designate the Federal building located at 6401 Security Boulevard in Baltimore, Maryland, commonly known as the Social Security Administration Operations Building, as the “Robert M. Ball ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Cummings sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Cummings’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5834: Witness Security and Protection Grant Program Act of 2018
- H.R. 5545: Comprehensive Addiction Resources Emergency Act of 2018
- H.R. 5390: FAFSA Fairness Act of 2018
- H.R. 4878: Federal Labor-Management Partnership Act of 2018
- H.R. 4826: Transition Team Ethics Improvement Act
- H.R. 4138: Medicare Drug Price Negotiation Act
- H.R. 3031: TSP Modernization Act of 2017
|Cummings’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 1695: Register of Copyrights Selection and Accountability Act of 2017
Apr 26, 2017. Passed 378/48.
This bill would change the appointment process for the head of the U.S. Copyright Office, known as the Register of Copyrights. Currently the Register of Copyrights is hired by the Librarian of Congress (who is the head of the Library of Congress). This bill would ...
H.R. 3038: Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2015, Part II
Jul 15, 2015. Passed 312/119.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 6621 (112th): To correct and improve certain provisions of the Leahy-Smith America Invents Act and title 35, United States ...
Dec 18, 2012. Passed 308/89.
H.R. 3630 (112th): Middle Class Tax Relief and Job Creation Act of 2012
Feb 17, 2012. Passed 293/132.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.Res. 317 (111th): Recognizing the region from Manhattan, Kansas, to Columbia, Missouri, as the Kansas City Animal Health Corridor, and ...
Sep 15, 2009. Passed 312/108.
From Apr 1996 to Jul 2018, Cummings missed 781 of 14,910 roll call votes, which is 5.2%. This is much worse than the median of 2.4% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: