Read our 2016 Report Card for Cummings.
Our unique analysis of the bills Cummings has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Cummings is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Elijah Cummings sits on the following committees:
- Ranking Member, House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform
- House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure
- Joint Economic Committee
Cummings was the primary sponsor of 17 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 5920 (114th): Whistleblower Protections for Contractors Act
- H.R. 1233 (113th): Presidential and Federal Records Act Amendments of 2014
- H.R. 4197 (113th): All Circuit Review Extension Act
- H.R. 4152 (112th): Hatch Act Modernization Act of 2012
- H.R. 5773 (111th): To designate the Federal building located at 6401 Security Boulevard in Baltimore, Maryland, commonly known as the Social Security Administration Operations Building, as the “Robert M. Ball ...
- H.R. 462 (111th): Medicaid-SCHIP Dental Benefits Improvement Act of 2009
- H.R. 4109 (109th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 6101 Liberty Road in Baltimore, Maryland, as the “United States Representative Parren J. Mitchell Post ...
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Cummings sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (30%) Health (22%) Education (18%) Armed Forces and National Security (8%) Crime and Law Enforcement (6%) Finance and Financial Sector (6%) Transportation and Public Works (6%) Civil Rights and Liberties, Minority Issues (4%)
Some of Cummings’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 224: Recognizing the 150th Anniversary of Howard University and its contributions to the United ...
- H.Con.Res. 38: Recognizing the life and legacy of Henrietta Lacks during Women’s History Month.
- H.R. 1376: Electronic Message Preservation Act of 2017
- H.R. 1245: Affordable and Safe Prescription Drug Importation Act
- H.R. 901: MERCY Act
- H.R. 859: Financial Services Conflict of Interest Act
- H.R. 702: Federal Employee Antidiscrimination Act of 2017
View All » (including bills from previous years)
|Cummings’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 3038: Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2015, Part II
Jul 15, 2015. Passed 312/119.
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 6621 (112th): To correct and improve certain provisions of the Leahy-Smith America Invents Act and title 35, United States ...
Dec 18, 2012. Passed 308/89.
H.R. 3630 (112th): Middle Class Tax Relief and Job Creation Act of 2012
Feb 17, 2012. Passed 293/132.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.Res. 317 (111th): Recognizing the region from Manhattan, Kansas, to Columbia, Missouri, as the Kansas City Animal Health Corridor, and ...
Sep 15, 2009. Passed 312/108.
From Apr 1996 to Mar 2017, Cummings missed 397 of 14,011 roll call votes, which is 2.8%. This is on par with the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 20 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: