Read our 2016 Report Card for Engel.
Our unique analysis of the bills Engel has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Engel is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Eliot Engel sits on the following committees:
Engel was the primary sponsor of 16 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 4939 (114th): United States-Caribbean Strategic Engagement Act of 2016
- H.R. 1493 (114th): Protect and Preserve International Cultural Property Act
- H.R. 3177 (113th): PEPFAR Stewardship and Oversight Act of 2013
- H.R. 1517 (111th): To allow certain U.S. Customs and Border Protection employees who serve under an overseas limited appointment for at least 2 years, and whose service is rated fully ...
- H.R. 6199 (110th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 245 North Main Street in New City, New York, as the “Kenneth Peter Zebrowski Post ...
- H.R. 5265 (110th): Paul D. Wellstone Muscular Dystrophy Community Assistance, Research, and Education Amendments of 2008
- H.R. 2295 (110th): ALS Registry Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Engel sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Engel’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 449: Urging the Government of Kenya and Kenya’s political parties to respect democratic principles ...
- H.R. 3203: Countering Iran’s Destabilizing Activities Act of 2017
- H.Res. 422: Urging adherence to the “one country, two systems” policy as prescribed in the ...
- H.R. 2955: Collision Avoidance Systems Act of 2017
- H.R. 2892: Open Fuel Act of 2017
- H.R. 2658: Venezuela Humanitarian Assistance and Defense of Democratic Governance Act of 2017
- H.Res. 336: Reaffirming a strong commitment to the United States-Mexico partnership.
|Engel’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 2842: Accelerating Individuals into the Workforce Act
Jun 23, 2017. Passed 377/34.
H.R. 2842 connects low-income Americans looking for work with employers looking to fill job openings, including through apprenticeships and other forms of on-the-job training. Specifically, the legislation provides funding for states to subsidize employment for a limited time for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) ...
H.R. 5461: Iranian Leadership Asset Transparency Act
Sep 21, 2016. Passed 282/143.
H.R. 308: Keep the Promise Act of 2015
Nov 16, 2015. Failed 263/146.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 6190 (112th): Asthma Inhalers Relief Act of 2012
Dec 12, 2012. Failed 229/182.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.R. 1363 (112th): Further Additional Continuing Appropriations Amendments, 2011
Apr 9, 2011. Passed 348/70.
S. 3729 (111th): National Aeronautics and Space Administration Authorization Act of 2010
Sep 29, 2010. Passed 304/118.
From Jan 1989 to Jul 2017, Engel missed 1,337 of 18,197 roll call votes, which is 7.3%. This is much worse than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 10 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- Congress-Legislators, a community project collecting election information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO Member Guide for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills