Stefanik is the representative for New York’s 21st congressional district (view map) and is a Republican. She has served since Jan 6, 2015. Stefanik is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Stefanik.
Stefanik is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Stefanik has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Dec 2, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Elise Stefanik sits on the following committees:
Stefanik was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 2423 (116th): Women’s Suffrage Centennial Commemorative Coin Act
- H.R. 6930 (115th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 10 Miller Street in Plattsburgh, New York, as the “Ross Bouyea Post Office Building”.
Does 2 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Stefanik sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Armed Forces and National Security (24%) Education (20%) Labor and Employment (16%) Immigration (12%) Crime and Law Enforcement (10%) Health (8%) Science, Technology, Communications (6%) Taxation (6%)
Some of Stefanik’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5759: BE GONE Act
- H.R. 5743: Ensuring Workers Get PAID Act of 2021
- H.R. 5670: Maurice D. Hinchey Hudson River Valley National Heritage Area Enhancement Act
- H.R. 5174: National Commission on United States Involvement in Afghanistan Act of 2021
- H.R. 4856: Canadian Snowbird Visa Act
- H.R. 4191: Gold Star Spouses Non-Monetary Benefits Act
- H.R. 4105: Restoring Northern Border Travel Act
From Jan 2015 to Dec 2021, Stefanik missed 19 of 3,890 roll call votes, which is 0.5%. This is better than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: