Slotkin is the representative for Michigan’s 8th congressional district (view map) and is a Democrat. She has served since Jan 3, 2019. Slotkin is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Slotkin.
Slotkin is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Slotkin has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jun 22, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Elissa Slotkin sits on the following committees:
Slotkin was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
- H.R. 5954 (116th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 108 West Maple Street in Holly, Michigan, as the “Holly Veterans Memorial Post Office”.
Does 1 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Slotkin sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Armed Forces and National Security (31%) Health (23%) Government Operations and Politics (11%) Education (11%) International Affairs (6%) Immigration (6%) Emergency Management (6%) Science, Technology, Communications (6%)
Some of Slotkin’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4067: To direct the Federal Communications Commission to establish a council to make recommendations ...
- H.R. 3850: To require the Secretary of State to submit a report on the status ...
- H.R. 3635: To amend the Public Health Service Act with respect to the Strategic National ...
- H.R. 3223: CISA Cyber Exercise Act
- H.R. 2947: ALERT Act
- H.R. 2819: Solid Start Act of 2021
- H.R. 2436: Veterans Burn Pits Exposure Recognition Act of 2021
From Jan 2019 to Jun 2021, Slotkin missed 4 of 1,134 roll call votes, which is 0.4%. This is better than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: