Slotkin is the representative for Michigan’s 7th congressional district (view map) and is a Democrat. She has served since Jan 3, 2023. Slotkin is next up for reelection in 2024 and serves until Jan 3, 2025. She is 46 years old.
She was previously the representative for Michigan’s 8th congressional district as a Democrat from 2019 to 2022.
Read our 2022 Report Card for Slotkin.
Slotkin is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Slotkin has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2019 to Mar 23, 2023. See full analysis methodology.
Elissa Slotkin sits on the following committees:
Slotkin was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 8900 (117th): To amend the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2021, to authorize certain prizes for the development of non-PFAS-containing turnout gear, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 7497 (117th): Make Medicine Affordable Act
- H.R. 3223 (117th): CISA Cyber Exercise Act
- H.R. 2819 (117th): Solid Start Act of 2021
- H.R. 5954 (116th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 108 West Maple Street in Holly, Michigan, as the “Holly Veterans Memorial Post Office”.
Does 5 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Slotkin sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Armed Forces and National Security (51%) Health (12%) Immigration (9%) Education (8%)
Recently Introduced Bills
Slotkin recently introduced the following legislation:
- H.R. 1370: Communications Security Act
- H.R. 1145: Safe Guns, Safe Kids Act
- H.R. 9077 (117th): Canine Members of the Armed Forces Act
- H.R. 9078 (117th): PRIMED Act
- H.R. 8925 (117th): To provide eligibility for veterans benefits for individuals who served in the …
- H.R. 8898 (117th): To require the Comptroller General of the United States to assess the …
- H.R. 8899 (117th): To amend title 10, United States Code, to establish a preference for …
View All » | View Cosponsors »
Most legislation has no activity after being introduced.
From Jan 2019 to Mar 2023, Slotkin missed 49 of 2,114 roll call votes, which is 2.3%. This is worse than the median of 1.5% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses, major life events, and running for higher office.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- Office of the Clerk, House of Representatives for the photo
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills