Dole is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the Senate in 2008 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Dole sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 7, 2003 to Dec 11, 2008. See full analysis methodology.
Dole was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- S. 1663 (108th): A bill to replace certain Coastal Barrier Resources System maps.
- S. 709 (108th): Gold Medal to Tony Blair bill
Does 2 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Dole sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Foreign Trade and International Finance (22%) Government Operations and Politics (19%) Economics and Public Finance (14%) Commerce (10%) Social Welfare (10%) Labor and Employment (9%) Education (8%) Taxation (8%)
Recently Introduced Bills
Dole recently introduced the following legislation:
- S. 3679 (110th): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to expand …
- S.Res. 695 (110th): A resolution commending the Honor Flight Network and its volunteers and donors …
- S. 3591 (110th): Motor Fuel Supply and Distribution Improvement Act
- S.Res. 664 (110th): A resolution celebrating the centennial of Union Station in Washington, District of …
- S. 3336 (110th): New Clean Energy Tax Extenders Act
- S. 3113 (110th): A bill to reinstate the Interim Management Strategy governing off-road vehicle use …
- S.Res. 572 (110th): A resolution calling upon the Court of Appeal for the Second Appellate …
View All » | View Cosponsors »
Most legislation has no activity after being introduced.
From Jan 2003 to Dec 2008, Dole missed 48 of 1,977 roll call votes, which is 2.4%. This is on par with the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of senators serving in Dec 2008. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses, major life events, and running for higher office.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- Congressional Pictorial Directory for the photo
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills