Our unique analysis of the bills Shuster sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 2000. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Shuster is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Shuster was the primary sponsor of 13 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 1000 (106th): Wendell H. Ford Aviation Investment and Reform Act for the 21st Century
- H.R. 3419 (106th): Motor Carrier Safety Improvement Act of 1999
- H.R. 2724 (106th): To make technical corrections to the Water Resources Development Act of 1999.
- H.R. 3036 (106th): To provide for interim continuation of administration of motor carrier functions by the Federal Highway Administration.
- H.R. 2204 (105th): Coast Guard Authorization Act of 1998
- H.R. 3504 (105th): John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts Authorization Act of 1998
- H.R. 2400 (105th): Transportation Equity Act for the 21st Century
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Shuster sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Transportation and Public Works (19%) Economics and Public Finance (15%) Government Operations and Politics (14%) Law (12%) Finance and Financial Sector (11%) Science, Technology, Communications (10%) Commerce (10%) Labor and Employment (9%)
Some of Shuster’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 180 (107th): Railroad Retirement and Survivors’ Improvement Act of 2001
- H.R. 181 (107th): Truth in Water Transportation Budgeting Act
- H.R. 5637 (106th): To provide that an amount available for fiscal year 2001 for the ...
- H.Res. 607 (106th): Disaster Mitigation Act of 2000
- H.R. 4844 (106th): Railroad Retirement and Survivors’ Improvement Act of 2000
- H.R. 4411 (106th): Water Resources Development Act of 2000
- H.R. 4276 (106th): Pipeline Safety and Community Protection Act of 2000
View All » (including bills from previous years)
From Jan 1973 to Jan 2001, Shuster missed 701 of 15,421 roll call votes, which is 4.5%. This is worse than the median of 2.8% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Jan 2001. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- Congressional Biographical Directory for elected positions
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Congressional Pictorial Directory for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills