Our unique analysis of the bills Hillis sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 1986. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Hillis is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Hillis sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Hillis’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5275 (99th): A bill to amend title 38, United States Code, to provide for ...
- H.Res. 178 (99th): A resolution establishing a temporary commission composed of political scientists and other ...
- H.R. 1944 (99th): Fair Trade Act of 1985
- H.R. 1361 (99th): A bill to designate the Veterans’ Administration Outpatient Clinic to be located ...
- H.R. 909 (99th): A bill for the relief of Porter County Plumbing, Heating and Electric ...
- H.R. 5344 (98th): A bill for the relief of Porter County Plumbing, Heating and Electric ...
- H.R. 5006 (98th): A bill to amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act with ...
View All » (including bills from previous years)
From Jan 1971 to Oct 1986, Hillis missed 1,085 of 8,422 roll call votes, which is 12.9%. This is much worse than the median of 6.2% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1986. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- Congressional Biographical Directory for elected positions
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills