Hillis was the representative for Indiana’s 5th congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 1971 to 1986.
Hillis is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1986 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Hillis sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Hillis sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Hillis’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5275 (99th): A bill to amend title 38, United States Code, to provide for ...
- H.Res. 178 (99th): A resolution establishing a temporary commission composed of political scientists and other ...
- H.R. 1944 (99th): Fair Trade Act of 1985
- H.R. 1361 (99th): A bill to designate the Veterans’ Administration Outpatient Clinic to be located ...
- H.R. 909 (99th): A bill for the relief of Porter County Plumbing, Heating and Electric ...
- H.R. 5344 (98th): A bill for the relief of Porter County Plumbing, Heating and Electric ...
- H.R. 5006 (98th): A bill to amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act with ...
From Jan 1971 to Oct 1986, Hillis missed 1,085 of 8,422 roll call votes, which is 12.9%. This is much worse than the median of 6.2% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1986. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills