Read our 2017 Report Card for Cleaver.
Cleaver is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Cleaver has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Emanuel Cleaver II sits on the following committees:
Cleaver was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1454 (113th): To make supplemental agricultural disaster assistance available for fiscal years 2012 and 2013, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 6198 (110th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 1700 Cleveland Avenue in Kansas City, Missouri, as the “Reverend Earl Abel Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 3572 (110th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 4320 Blue Parkway in Kansas City, Missouri, as the “Wallace S. Hartsfield Post Office Building”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Cleaver sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Cleaver’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 3552: Cady Housh and Jason Flatt Teen Suicide Prevention Act of 2017
- H.Res. 696 (114th): Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives regarding jazz heritage in ...
- H.R. 2301 (114th): To designate Union Station in Washington, DC, as the “Harry S. Truman ...
- H.R. 5888 (113th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at ...
- H.R. 5865 (113th): CAM Act of 2014
- H.R. 5144 (113th): EASY Voting Act
- H.R. 4638 (113th): To designate Union Station in Washington, DC, as the “Harry S. Truman ...
|Cleaver’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 1599: Safe and Accurate Food Labeling Act of 2015
Jul 23, 2015. Passed 275/150.
This bill was enacted as S. 764. The Safe and Accurate Food Labeling Act of 2015 would require the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to regulate the distribution and labeling related to bioengineered foods (often referred to as genetically modified foods or GMOs). It would ...
H.R. 3038: Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2015, Part II
Jul 15, 2015. Passed 312/119.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2353: Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2015
May 19, 2015. Passed 387/35.
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 6190 (112th): Asthma Inhalers Relief Act of 2012
Dec 12, 2012. Failed 229/182.
H.R. 6233 (112th): Agricultural Disaster Assistance Act of 2012
Aug 2, 2012. Passed 223/197.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.Res. 1031 (110th): Providing for the adoption of the resolution (H. Res. 895) establishing within the House of Representatives an ...
Mar 11, 2008. Passed 229/182.
From Jan 2005 to Jun 2018, Cleaver missed 571 of 9,876 roll call votes, which is 5.8%. This is much worse than the median of 2.4% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: