Cantor was the representative for Virginia’s 7th congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 2001 to 2014.
Read our 2013 Report Card for Cantor.
Cantor is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2014 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Cantor sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Cantor was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 6634 (112th): To change the effective date for the Internet publication of certain financial disclosure forms.
- H.R. 3080 (112th): United States-Korea Free Trade Agreement Implementation Act
- H.R. 3078 (112th): United States-Colombia Trade Promotion Agreement Implementation Act
- H.R. 3079 (112th): United States-Panama Trade Promotion Agreement Implementation Act
- H.R. 258 (108th): American 5-Cent Coin Design Continuity Act of 2003
- H.R. 1748 (107th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 805 Glen Burnie Road in Richmond, Virginia, as the “Tom Bliley Post Office Building”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Cantor sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Cantor’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Con.Res. 75 (113th): Providing for a joint session of Congress to receive a message from ...
- H.Res. 141 (113th): Expressing the condolences of the House of Representatives on the death of ...
- H.Res. 5 (113th): Adopting rules for the One Hundred Thirteenth Congress.
- H.Res. 3 (113th): Authorizing the Speaker to appoint a committee to notify the President of ...
- H.Res. 2 (113th): To inform the Senate that a quorum of the House has assembled ...
- H.R. 6684 (112th): Spending Reduction Act of 2012
- H.R. 6634 (112th): To change the effective date for the Internet publication of certain financial ...
From Jan 2001 to Aug 2014, Cantor missed 422 of 9,688 roll call votes, which is 4.4%. This is worse than the median of 2.5% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Aug 2014. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: