Istook was the representative for Oklahoma’s 5th congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 1993 to 2006.
Istook is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2006 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Istook sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Istook was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 2590 (107th): Treasury and General Government Appropriations Act, 2002
- H.R. 4942 (106th): District of Columbia Appropriations Act, 2001
- H.R. 5633 (106th): District of Columbia Appropriations Act, 2001
- H.R. 848 (106th): For the relief of Sepandan Farnia and Farbod Farnia.
- H.R. 3194 (106th): Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2000
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Istook sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (21%) Law (18%) Economics and Public Finance (15%) Taxation (11%) Civil Rights and Liberties, Minority Issues (11%) Labor and Employment (9%) Commerce (8%) Crime and Law Enforcement (8%)
Some of Istook’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 3497 (109th): Loser Pays Legal Fee Fairness Act
- H.R. 3403 (109th): To amend the National Labor Relations Act to provide for inflation adjustments ...
- H.J.Res. 58 (109th): Proposing a balanced budget amendment the Constitution of the United States.
- H.J.Res. 57 (109th): Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States protecting religious ...
- H.Res. 184 (109th): Recognizing a National Week of Hope in commemoration of the 10-year anniversary ...
- H.R. 5025 (108th): Transportation, Treasury, and Independent Agencies Appropriations Act, 2005
- H.R. 4892 (108th): To establish that marriage in the United States consists only of the ...
From Jan 1993 to Dec 2006, Istook missed 611 of 8,294 roll call votes, which is 7.4%. This is much worse than the median of 2.9% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2006. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: