Our unique analysis of the bills St. Germain sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 1988. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). St. Germain is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
St. Germain was the primary sponsor of 15 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 27 (100th): Competitive Equality Banking Act of 1987
- H.R. 5521 (99th): A bill to extend until October 13, 1986, the emergency acquisition and net worth guarantee provisions of the Garn-St Germain Depository Institutions Act of 1982.
- H.R. 5371 (99th): A bill to extend until September 15, 1986, the emergency acquisition and net worth guarantee provisions of the Garn-St Germain Depository Institutions Act of 1982.
- H.R. 4551 (99th): A bill to extend for 3 months the emergency acquisition and net worth guarantee provisions of the Garn-St Germain Depository Institutions Act of 1982.
- H.J.Res. 495 (99th): A joint resolution to provide for the temporary extension of certain programs relating to housing and community development, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 6267 (97th): Garn-St. Germain Depository Institutions Act of 1982
- H.R. 4986 (96th): Depository Institutions Deregulation and Monetary Control Act of 1980
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
St. Germain sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Finance and Financial Sector (43%) Government Operations and Politics (22%) Housing and Community Development (9%) Crime and Law Enforcement (8%) Economics and Public Finance (6%) Taxation (5%) Social Welfare (5%)
Some of St. Germain’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5521 (100th): Federal Asset Disposition Association Dissolution Act
- H.R. 5490 (100th): A bill for the relief of William J. Guadagni.
- H.R. 5407 (100th): A bill to establish a National Commission on the Thrift Industry.
- H.R. 5094 (100th): Depository Institutions Act of 1988
- H.R. 4981 (100th): Emergency Bank Consolidation Act of 1988
- H.R. 4853 (100th): Money Laundering Control Amendments of 1988
- H.R. 4766 (100th): A bill to amend title 38, United States Code, to authorize the ...
View All » (including bills from previous years)
From Jan 1961 to Oct 1988, St. Germain missed 1,356 of 11,148 roll call votes, which is 12.2%. This is much worse than the median of 5.5% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1988. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- Congressional Biographical Directory for elected positions
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills