Read our 2018 Report Card for Vela.
Vela is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Vela has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Jun 21, 2019. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Filemon Vela sits on the following committees:
- House Committee on Agriculture
- House Committee on Armed Services
Vela was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Vela sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Vela’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 2347: Border and Refugee Assistance Act of 2019
- H.R. 1293: RAIDER Act of 2019
- H.R. 1292: Border Community Input in Border Security Act
- H.R. 1234: Preventing the Taking of Americans’ Land to Build Trump’s Wall Act
- H.R. 7028: DHS Body-Worn Camera Act of 2018
- H.R. 6078: To provide for the boundary of the Palo Alto Battlefield National Historic Park ...
- H.R. 4940: Border and Port Security Act
From Jan 2013 to Jun 2019, Vela missed 141 of 4,137 roll call votes, which is 3.4%. This is worse than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: