Vela was the representative for Texas’s 34th congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 2013 to 2022.
Vela is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Vela has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Nov 22, 2022. See full analysis methodology.
Vela was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 4482 (116th): Protecting America’s Food and Agriculture Act of 2019
- H.R. 3375 (115th): Javier Vega, Jr. Memorial Act of 2017
Does 2 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Vela sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Taxation (24%) Armed Forces and National Security (18%) Immigration (18%) Transportation and Public Works (8%) Commerce (8%) Emergency Management (8%) Education (8%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (8%)
Recently Introduced Bills
Vela recently introduced the following legislation:
- H.R. 7052: To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 1535 …
- H.R. 6324: Saving America’s Future by Educating Kids Act of 2021
- H.R. 6053: Protect Minority Student Borrowers Act
- H.R. 6013: Volunteer Driver Tax Appreciation Act of 2021
- H.R. 5907: Water Infrastructure for Rural and Impoverished Communities Act
- H.R. 5807: DATA Privacy Act
- H.Res. 713: Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that the Nation should honor …
Most legislation has no activity after being introduced.
From Jan 2013 to Mar 2022, Vela missed 185 of 5,244 roll call votes, which is 3.5%. This is worse than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Mar 2022. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: