Read our 2019 Report Card for Vela.
Vela is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Vela has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Sep 25, 2020. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Filemon Vela sits on the following committees:
Vela was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 4482: Protecting America’s Food and Agriculture Act of 2019
- H.R. 3375 (115th): Javier Vega, Jr. Memorial Act of 2017
Does 2 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Vela sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Vela’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 1105: Honoring the Buffalo Soldiers who were dishonorably discharged and ultimately had their honorable ...
- H.Res. 1098: Commending the United States military servicemembers and NATO allies who successfully planned, coordinated, ...
- H.Con.Res. 113: Expressing the sense of Congress regarding the achievements of Tejano music artists such ...
- H.Res. 1089: Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that the Nation should honor ...
- H.R. 8062: E-Filing Standards Improvement Act
- H.R. 8063: Installation Agreement Affordability Act
- H.R. 8028: Protect Minority Student Borrowers Act
From Jan 2013 to Sep 2020, Vela missed 149 of 4,646 roll call votes, which is 3.2%. This is on par with the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: