Read our 2020 Report Card for Vela.
Vela is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Vela has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to May 7, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Filemon Vela sits on the following committees:
Vela was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 4482 (116th): Protecting America’s Food and Agriculture Act of 2019
- H.R. 3375 (115th): Javier Vega, Jr. Memorial Act of 2017
Does 2 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Vela sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Immigration (26%) Taxation (15%) Armed Forces and National Security (15%) Emergency Management (11%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (11%) Transportation and Public Works (7%) Commerce (7%) Education (7%)
Some of Vela’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 268: To provide for the boundary of the Palo Alto Battlefield National Historic Park ...
- H.R. 269: Putting Our Resources Toward Security (PORTS) Act
- H.R. 8749 (116th): DATA Privacy Act
- H.R. 8700 (116th): John Lewis Taxpayer Protection Act
- H.R. 8501 (116th): TEAMS Act
- H.Res. 1105 (116th): Honoring the Buffalo Soldiers who were dishonorably discharged and ultimately had their ...
- H.Res. 1098 (116th): Commending the United States military servicemembers and NATO allies who successfully planned, ...
From Jan 2013 to Apr 2021, Vela missed 156 of 4,826 roll call votes, which is 3.2%. This is worse than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: