Fithian was the representative for Indiana’s 2nd congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 1975 to 1982.
Fithian is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1982 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Fithian sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Fithian was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 12917 (95th): A bill directing the Secretary of Agriculture to compile and publish certain information relating to the adequacy of a transportation system to meet the needs of agriculture ...
- H.R. 11455 (94th): An Act to amend the act establishing the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore to provide for the expansion of the lakeshore, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 11690 (94th): A bill to amend the act establishing the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore to provide for the expansion of the lakeshore.
- H.R. 11558 (94th): A bill to amend the act establishing the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore to provide for the expansion of the lakeshore.
- H.R. 11456 (94th): A bill to amend the act establishing the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore to provide for the expansion of the lakeshore.
- H.R. 11457 (94th): A bill to amend the act establishing the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore to provide for the expansion of the lakeshore.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Fithian sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Foreign Trade and International Finance (22%) Transportation and Public Works (14%) Agriculture and Food (12%) Economics and Public Finance (12%) Government Operations and Politics (12%) Energy (10%) Private Legislation (8%) Environmental Protection (8%)
Some of Fithian’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Con.Res. 416 (97th): A concurrent resolution expressing the sense of the Congress that the President ...
- H.J.Res. 603 (97th): A joint resolution directing the President to take every possible action to ...
- H.R. 6565 (97th): A bill to amend the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act ...
- H.Con.Res. 333 (97th): A concurrent resolution expressing the sense of the Congress that the United ...
- H.R. 6165 (97th): Foreign Oil and Gas Tax Act of 1982
- H.R. 6092 (97th): A bill to amend titles XVIII and XIX of the Social Security ...
- H.R. 5978 (97th): A bill to amend the Small Business Act to provide that prior ...
From Jan 1975 to Dec 1982, Fithian missed 496 of 4,901 roll call votes, which is 10.1%. This is on par with the median of 7.8% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 1982. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills