Rooney, a Republican, is the representative for Florida's 19th congressional district (view map) and has served since Jan 3, 2017. Rooney is next up for reelection in 2018.
Rooney is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Rooney has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Francis Rooney sits on the following committees:
- House Committee on Education and the Workforce
- House Committee on Foreign Affairs
Rooney was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
- H.J.Res. 67: Disapproving the rule submitted by the Department of Labor relating to savings arrangements established by qualified State political subdivisions for non-governmental employees.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Rooney sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Labor and Employment (100%)
Some of Rooney’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4414: To amend the Higher Education Act of 1965 to require students who do ...
- H.R. 4327: Current Employee Representation Act
- H.R. 3957: To repeal title VIII of the Higher Education Opportunity Act and title VIII ...
- H.R. 2629: Representation Fairness Restoration Act
- H.R. 2515: Travel Agent Retail Fairness Act
- H.J.Res. 67: Disapproving the rule submitted by the Department of Labor relating to savings arrangements ...
|Rooney’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 2824: Increasing Opportunity through Evidence-Based Home Visiting Act
Sep 26, 2017. Passed 214/209.
H.R. 2824 reauthorizes the Maternal, Infant, and Early Childhood Home Visiting (MIECHV) Program through Fiscal Year 2022. Specifically, this bill renews an expired requirement that grantees of the program demonstrate improvement in specified benchmark areas three years after program implementation (such as reducing child abuse ...
H.R. 1039: Probation Officer Protection Act of 2017
May 19, 2017. Passed 229/177.
H.R. 1039 amends the federal criminal code to authorize a probation officer to arrest a person, without warrant, if there is probable cause to believe that person forcibly assaulted or obstructed a probation officer while performing their official duties. The bill also would direct the ...
H.R. 1695: Register of Copyrights Selection and Accountability Act of 2017
Apr 26, 2017. Passed 378/48.
This bill would change the appointment process for the head of the U.S. Copyright Office, known as the Register of Copyrights. Currently the Register of Copyrights is hired by the Librarian of Congress (who is the head of the Library of Congress). This bill would ...
From Jan 2017 to Nov 2017, Rooney missed 63 of 637 roll call votes, which is 9.9%. This is much worse than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: