Read our 2018 Report Card for Rooney.
Rooney is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Rooney has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Jul 18, 2019. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Francis Rooney sits on the following committees:
- House Committee on Foreign Affairs
- House Committee on Education and Labor
Rooney was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
- H.J.Res. 67 (115th): Disapproving the rule submitted by the Department of Labor relating to savings arrangements established by qualified State political subdivisions for non-governmental employees.
Does 1 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Rooney sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Labor and Employment (30%) Education (15%) Immigration (12%) International Affairs (9%) Emergency Management (9%) Government Operations and Politics (9%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (9%) Health (6%)
Some of Rooney’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 3728: To amend the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 to provide for the ...
- H.R. 3427: Eliminating the RFS and Its Destructive Outcomes Act
- H.R. 3327: Drug Price Transparency for Medicare Patients Act of 2019
- H.R. 3297: Harmful Algal Bloom Essential Forecasting Act
- H.R. 3071: Stop Higher Education Espionage and Theft Act of 2019
- H.R. 2506: Travel Advisor Retail Fairness Act
- H.R. 2278: RAISE Act
From Jan 2017 to Jul 2019, Rooney missed 245 of 1,706 roll call votes, which is 14.4%. This is much worse than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: