Denholm, a Democrat, was the representative for South Dakota's 1st congressional district from 1971 to 1974.
Denholm is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1974 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Denholm sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Denholm was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 8230 (93rd): A bill to authorize the Sisseton and Wahpeton Sioux Tribe of the Lake Traverse Reservation to consolidate its landholdings in North Dakota and South Dakota, and for ...
- H.R. 5759 (93rd): A bill for the relief of Morena Stolsmark.
- H.R. 2276 (93rd): A bill to amend the Rural Electrification Act of 1936, as amended, to reaffirm that such funds made available for each fiscal year to carry out the ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Denholm sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Agriculture and Food (29%) Housing and Community Development (17%) Taxation (17%) Government Operations and Politics (13%) Economics and Public Finance (6%) Law (6%) Transportation and Public Works (6%) Science, Technology, Communications (6%)
Some of Denholm’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 17646 (93rd): A bill to amend title 39, United States Code, to authorize the ...
- H.R. 17262 (93rd): Emergency Dairy, Livestock, and Poultry Act
- H.R. 17263 (93rd): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 to increase ...
- H.R. 17264 (93rd): A bill to amend the Public Health Service Act to establish a ...
- H.R. 14801 (93rd): A bill expanding the definition of the word “person” as used in ...
- H.R. 14492 (93rd): A bill to amend the Emergency Highway Energy Conservation Act to provide ...
- H.R. 14422 (93rd): A bill directing the Secretary of the Department of Transportation to conduct ...
From Jan 1971 to Dec 1974, Denholm missed 157 of 1,727 roll call votes, which is 9.1%. This is on par with the median of 9.7% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 1974. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills