Evans was the representative for Colorado’s 3rd congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 1965 to 1978.
Evans is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1978 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Evans sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 1973 to Oct 15, 1978. See full analysis methodology.
Evans was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 9719 (94th): An Act to provide for certain payments to be made to local governments by the Secretary of the Interior based upon the amount of certain public lands ...
- H.R. 10008 (94th): A bill to provide for certain payments to be made to State or local governments by the Secretary of the Interior based upon the amount of certain ...
- H.R. 8322 (93rd): An Act for the relief of William L. Cameron, Junior.
Does 3 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Evans sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Public Lands and Natural Resources (22%) Government Operations and Politics (20%) Taxation (18%) Environmental Protection (15%) Agriculture and Food (8%) Energy (8%) Science, Technology, Communications (5%) Health (5%)
Some of Evans’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 14171 (95th): Amateur Sports Act
- H.R. 14036 (95th): A bill to provide for the orderly construction, operation and maintenance of ...
- H.R. 13708 (95th): A bill to provide for the orderly construction, operation and maintenance of ...
- H.R. 13424 (95th): Federal Oil Shale Commercialization Test Act
- H.R. 13049 (95th): Residual Radioactive Materials Act
- H.R. 12865 (95th): A bill to modify the boundaries of the San Juan and San ...
- H.R. 12818 (95th): Federal Oil Shale Commercialization Test Act
From Jan 1965 to Oct 1978, Evans missed 775 of 5,855 roll call votes, which is 13.2%. This is worse than the median of 8.8% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1978. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills