Guarini was the representative for New Jersey’s 14th congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 1979 to 1992.
Guarini is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1992 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Guarini sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Guarini was the primary sponsor of 11 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.J.Res. 429 (102nd): Designating May 3, 1992 through May 9, 1992, as “Be Kind to Animals and National Pet Week”.
- H.J.Res. 130 (102nd): To designate January 1 as “National Ellis Island Day”.
- H.J.Res. 458 (101st): Designating May 6 through 12, 1990, as “Be Kind to Animals and National Pet Week”.
- H.R. 2985 (100th): A bill to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 850 Newark Turnpike in Kearny, New Jersey, as the “Dominick V. Daniels Postal ...
- H.R. 2672 (99th): Federal Employees’ Retirement System Act of 1986
- H.J.Res. 162 (99th): A joint resolution designating the month of May 1985 as “Better Hearing and Speech Month”.
- H.J.Res. 407 (98th): A joint resolution designating the week beginning April 8, 1984, as “National Hearing Impaired Awareness Week”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Guarini sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Guarini’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5731 (102nd): Interstate Taxation Commission Act
- H.R. 5646 (102nd): To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide for the ...
- H.R. 5578 (102nd): Automotive Trade Equity Act of 1992
- H.R. 5240 (102nd): Tax Extension Act of 1992
- H.R. 4717 (102nd): To extend the existing suspension of duty on corned beef in airtight ...
- H.R. 4716 (102nd): To reduce the tariff on certain stone slabs through December 31, 1994.
- H.J.Res. 436 (102nd): Designating June 19, 1992, as “National Baseball Day”.
From Jan 1979 to Oct 1992, Guarini missed 433 of 6,654 roll call votes, which is 6.5%. This is worse than the median of 4.4% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1992. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills