Riggs is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1998 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Riggs sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 5, 1993 to Dec 17, 1998. See full analysis methodology.
Riggs was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1853 (105th): Carl D. Perkins Vocational and Applied Technology Education Amendments of 1998
- H.R. 2616 (105th): Charter School Expansion Act of 1998
- H.R. 79 (105th): Hoopa Valley Reservation South Boundary Adjustment Act
- H.R. 3056 (104th): To permit a county-operated health insuring organization to qualify as an organization exempt from certain requirements otherwise applicable to health insuring organizations under the Medicaid program notwithstanding ...
- H.R. 2243 (104th): Trinity River Basin Fish and Wildlife Management Reauthorization Act of 1995
Does 5 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Riggs sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Riggs’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 599 (105th): Expressing the sense of the House on a question relating to the ...
- H.R. 4271 (105th): Community Services Authorization Act of 1998
- H.R. 4241 (105th): Head Start Amendments of 1998
- H.R. 4099 (105th): Older Americans Amendments of 1998
- H.Res. 474 (105th): Expressing the Boy Scouts of America freedom of association.
- H.R. 3973 (105th): Trinity River Basin Fish and Wildlife Restoration Reauthorization Act of 1998
- H.R. 3924 (105th): To authorize conveyance of 2 decommissioned Coast Guard vessels to Canvasback Mission, ...
From Jan 1991 to Dec 1998, Riggs missed 314 of 3,459 roll call votes, which is 9.1%. This is much worse than the median of 2.6% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 1998. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills