Upton, a Republican, is the representative for Michigan's 6th congressional district (view map) and has served since Jan 5, 1993. Upton is next up for reelection in 2018.
He was previously the representative for Michigan's 4th congressional district (1987-1992).
Read our 2016 Report Card for Upton.
Upton is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Upton has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Fred Upton sits on the following committees:
Upton was the primary sponsor of 10 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 5944 (114th): To amend title 49, United States Code, with respect to certain grant assurances, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 5728 (113th): STELA Reauthorization Act of 2014
- H.R. 3204 (113th): Drug Quality and Security Act
- H.R. 6433 (112th): FDA User Fee Corrections Act of 2012
- H.R. 5651 (112th): Food and Drug Administration Reform Act of 2012
- H.R. 2937 (112th): Pipeline Infrastructure and Community Protection Act of 2011
- H.R. 5419 (108th): To amend the National Telecommunications and Information Adminstration Organization Act to facilitate the reallocation of spectrum from governmental to commercial users; to improve, enhance, and promote the ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Upton sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Upton’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4011: Fuel Economy Harmonization Act
- H.R. 3406: PAVE Act
- H.R. 3050: Enhancing State Energy Security Planning and Emergency Preparedness Act of 2017
- H.R. 2256: Christa McAuliffe Commemorative Coin Act of 2017
- H.R. 1920: To amend part B of title XVIII of the Social Security Act to ...
- H.R. 829: Prioritizing the Most Vulnerable Over Lottery Winners Act of 2017
- H.R. 461: For the relief of Ibrahim Parlak.
|Upton’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.J.Res. 69: Providing for congressional disapproval under chapter 8 of title 5, United States Code, of the final rule of the Department of the Interior relating to “Non-Subsistence ...
Feb 16, 2017. Passed 225/193.
H.J.Res. 69 would nullify the rule issued by the Department of the Interior on August 5, 2016, amending regulations for National Wildlife Refuges in Alaska that govern predator control and public participation and closure procedures. The rule amended regulations for the National Wildlife Refuges in ...
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 2362 (112th): Indian Tribal Trade and Investment Demonstration Project Act of 2011
Jul 23, 2012. Failed 222/160.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.R. 2920 (111th): Statutory Pay-As-You-Go Act of 2009
Jul 22, 2009. Passed 265/166.
H.R. 7321 (110th): Auto Industry Financing and Restructuring Act
Dec 10, 2008. Passed 237/170.
From Jan 1987 to Nov 2017, Upton missed 62 of 19,372 roll call votes, which is 0.3%. This is better than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO Member Guide for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills