Read our 2016 Report Card for Upton.
Our unique analysis of the bills Upton has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Upton is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Fred Upton sits on the following committees:
House Committee on Energy and Commerce
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Commerce, Manufacturing, and Trade
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Communications and Technology
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Energy and Power
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Environment and the Economy
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Health
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations
Upton was the primary sponsor of 9 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 5944: To amend title 49, United States Code, with respect to certain grant assurances, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 5728 (113th): STELA Reauthorization Act of 2014
- H.R. 3204 (113th): Drug Quality and Security Act
- H.R. 6433 (112th): FDA User Fee Corrections Act of 2012
- H.R. 5651 (112th): Food and Drug Administration Reform Act of 2012
- H.R. 2937 (112th): Pipeline Infrastructure and Community Protection Act of 2011
- H.R. 5419 (108th): To amend the National Telecommunications and Information Adminstration Organization Act to facilitate the reallocation of spectrum from governmental to commercial users; to improve, enhance, and promote the ...
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Upton sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Upton’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 461: For the relief of Ibrahim Parlak.
- H.R. 6473: To express the sense of Congress that information security is critical to the ...
- H.R. 6315: To authorize the award of the Medal of Honor to James C. McCloughan ...
- H.R. 5944: To amend title 49, United States Code, with respect to certain grant assurances, ...
- H.R. 5414: FDA Cross-Center Collaboration Act of 2016
- H.R. 5168: Christa McAuliffe Commemorative Coin Act of 2016
- H.R. 5050: Pipeline Safety Act of 2016
View All » (including bills from previous years)
|Upton’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act ("H.R. 2048". , Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection ...
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 6156 (112th): Russia and Moldova Jackson-Vanik Repeal and Sergei Magnitsky Rule of Law Accountability Act of 2012
Nov 16, 2012. Passed 365/43.
The Magnitsky Act, formally known as the Russia and Moldova Jackson-Vanik Repeal and Sergei Magnitsky Rule of Law Accountability Act of 2012, is a bipartisan bill passed by the U.S. Congress and President Obama in November–December 2012, intending to punish Russian officials responsible for the ...
H.R. 2362 (112th): Indian Tribal Trade and Investment Demonstration Project Act of 2011
Jul 23, 2012. Failed 222/160.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.R. 2920 (111th): Statutory Pay-As-You-Go Act of 2009
Jul 22, 2009. Passed 265/166.
H.R. 7321 (110th): Auto Industry Financing and Restructuring Act
Dec 10, 2008. Passed 237/170.
From Jan 1987 to Jan 2017, Upton missed 52 of 18,794 roll call votes, which is 0.3%. This is better than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- Congressional Biographical Directory for elected positions
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO Member Guide for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills