Rooney was the representative for Pennsylvania’s 15th congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 1963 to 1978.
Rooney is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1978 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Rooney sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 1973 to Oct 15, 1978. See full analysis methodology.
Rooney was the primary sponsor of 7 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 10898 (95th): A bill to amend the Regional Rail Reorganization Act of 1973 to authorize appropriations for the United States Railway Association for fiscal year 1979.
- H.R. 5646 (95th): A bill to amend the Regional Rail Reorganization Act of 1973 to require ConRail to make premium payments under certain medical and life insurance policies, to provide ...
- H.R. 5798 (95th): A bill to amend the Interstate Commerce Act to authorize appropriations for the Office of Rail Public Counsel for fiscal year 1978.
- H.R. 5272 (94th): A bill to amend the Noise Control Act of 1972 to authorize additional appropriations.
- H.R. 8188 (94th): A bill to amend the International Travel Act of 1961 to authorize additional appropriations.
- H.R. 4975 (94th): Amtrak Improvement Act
- H.R. 13054 (93rd): A bill to eliminate discrimination based on sex in the youth programs offered by the Naval Sea Cadet Corps.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Rooney sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Transportation and Public Works (34%) Government Operations and Politics (22%) Sports and Recreation (11%) Economics and Public Finance (8%) Environmental Protection (7%) Commerce (7%) Labor and Employment (7%) Energy (6%)
Some of Rooney’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.J.Res. 1170 (95th): A resolution proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States ...
- H.Res. 1433 (95th): A resolution to provide that the bill H.R. 10898 to amend the ...
- H.R. 14089 (95th): Interstate Horseracing Act
- H.Con.Res. 710 (95th): A resolution expressing the support of the Congress for a comprehensive review ...
- H.R. 13503 (95th): A bill to suspend the duty on gondolas, covered hoppers, and box ...
- H.R. 12577 (95th): Federal Railroad Safety Authorization Act
- H.R. 12207 (95th): A bill to amend the Trade Act of 1974.
From Aug 1963 to Oct 1978, Rooney missed 408 of 6,034 roll call votes, which is 6.8%. This is better than the median of 8.8% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1978. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills