Our unique analysis of the bills Giffords sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into her position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 2013. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Giffords is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Giffords sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Armed Forces and National Security (19%) Government Operations and Politics (15%) Taxation (14%) Immigration (12%) Education (10%) Science, Technology, Communications (10%) Finance and Financial Sector (10%) Economics and Public Finance (10%)
Some of Giffords’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 3801 (112th): Ultralight Aircraft Smuggling Prevention Act of 2012
- H.R. 204 (112th): Congressional Pay Cut Act
- H.R. 6272 (111th): Servicemember Homeowner Assistance Program Extension Act
- H.R. 6279 (111th): National Guard and Reserve Soft Landing Reintegration Act
- H.R. 6231 (111th): American Jobs Through Exports Act of 2010
- H.Res. 1670 (111th): Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives with respect to legislation ...
- H.R. 6146 (111th): Warrior Home Loan Act
View All » (including bills from previous years)
From Jan 2007 to Jan 2012, Giffords missed 1,027 of 4,490 roll call votes, which is 22.9%. This is much worse than the median of 2.6% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Jan 2012. ProPublica has tracked 30 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- Congressional Biographical Directory for elected positions
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills