Miller was the representative for California’s 31st congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 2013 to 2014.
He was previously the representative for California’s 42nd congressional district as a Republican from 2003 to 2012; and the representative for California’s 41st congressional district as a Republican from 1999 to 2002.
Read our 2014 Report Card for Miller.
Miller is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2014 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Miller sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2009 to Dec 11, 2014. See full analysis methodology.
Miller was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 2072 (112th): Export-Import Bank Reauthorization Act of 2012
- H.R. 5125 (107th): Civil War Battlefield Preservation Act of 2002
- H.R. 3189 (106th): To designate the United States post office located at 14071 Peyton Drive in Chino Hills, California, as the “Joseph Ileto Post Office”.
Does 3 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Miller sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Miller’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5310 (113th): Protecting Independence in the Education of Loan Originators Act of 2014
- H.R. 4510 (113th): Insurance Capital Standards Clarification Act of 2014
- H.R. 4208 (113th): Stabilizing FHA Loan Limit Calculations Act of 2014
- H.R. 2572 (113th): Regulatory Relief for Credit Unions Act of 2013
- H.R. 2211 (113th): Accuracy in Reporting Medical Debt Act of 2013
- H.R. 2140 (113th): Insurance Capital and Accounting Standards Act of 2013
- H.R. 1296 (113th): Flood Control Facility Maintenance Clarification Act
From Jan 1999 to Dec 2014, Miller missed 1,118 of 10,976 roll call votes, which is 10.2%. This is much worse than the median of 2.5% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2014. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: